Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cgworkman, May 24, 2004.

1. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I've been shopping some Ampeg cabs - Probably something from the Classic series. If anyone has any opinions, good or bad about Ampeg in general, or this particular series - please share.

Thanks in advance.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Now you're opening a can of worms here. (do a search) ;)
    I like the classic series cabs for their sound. I've owned a few and still own one now. They seem to be a bit on the fragile side construction wise. I would suggest getting at least a heavy cover for the cab you buy, if not a road case. But really it doesn't matter what we think, it's what you think about them and how you want your tone to sound. Try several of them out and some cabs from different brands. Let your ears decide not your eyes.

3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeah I've been shopping different brands. I've been through Hartke, Gallien Krueger, Trace Elliot and now I'm looking at Ampegs. Problem is, there's no local Ampeg dealer - thus the questions here.

I didn't care for the hartke - it was a tad to brittle for me. The GK was to sterile - the trace was actually nice - but there hard to find new - and i perfer something new.

I play jazz, rock, gospel, country, pop - just about everything - so i'm looking for an "all around" cab - and someone suggested Ampeg.

I looking for decent performance if I put 1000 watts (or more depending on the cab) into the cab.

I know this is a hard question - but what's the overall "tone/sound" of the classic series?

How does ampeg compare to say - EBS, Augilar, Ashdown, Bag End, etc.?

Thanks

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I don't like comparing companies, I honestly think every company makes something good for their price. The rest is really just a matter of taste.

As for the sound of ampeg, they are very round, if you want to put that much power into I suggest the 8x10", it is 6 10" and 2 coaxial 10", very warm but still good highs, and it is very very loud.

As for the Classic series in general. There is a used 4x10" at GC that I'm really GASing for.

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I tried out a 15" think it's called SVT115...It was like new used. It had a buzzing vibration . Couldn't tell if it was coming from speaker or cab but why this problem when it wasn't very old. Looked like new.
    Take a good look at the Peavey 115BVX-BW, 210TVX and 410TVX. All rated for over 300watts rms and super reliable. The 115BVX out the door new for $299. More for the 10" cabs.

6. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    My main complaint about the Ampeg classic series is the lack of pitch definition. If you play a chromatic scale, it more or less sounds like the same note. Someone commented on the "roundness" of Ampeg classic cabs and I think this is another description of what I hear. They put out lots of volume, but I like a bit more hi-fi sound. I went with Eden and I am thrilled with my gear. You can't really call Eden hi-fi, but it is closer to it than Ampeg classic cabs. To me, Eden has the right mix of roundness and definition.

7. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    The problem with used ampeg gear is they use tolex, which is very easily replaced. A cab couldve fallen out of a truck, and a new roll of tolex applied properly makes it look new. As far as the peavey you mentioned, the 115BVX and the 115BVX-BW are differant cabs, the BW stands for Black Widow which has to do with the speaker in it. Also, Peavey is known for their construction quality. I don't however think Peavey and Ampeg are on the same level, they both are known for differant things and are good for differant things.

I don't rule out Peavey, I do like them, but I'm not sure if they make anything in the power range that was mentioned.

8. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Anyone else notice this "problem"? Because if this is true - that sucks. :(

9. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Can't go wrong with the Classic 8X10". The Classic series 4X10" HLF is nice also. The Classic 4X10" HE is limited because it's not ported and produces a muddy B, Good for 4 stringers though. -Luke

10. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Here's basically what I'm looking for. I want a "natural" sounding cab. Now I know there are allot of factors involved here - i.e. preamp, amp, etc. - But I want a cab that doesn't add allot a coloration to my sound. Basically what comes out of my pre-amp is what I want to hear. I was told that Ampeg was the best and closest choice for this.

Now I know that each brand will have it's own "sound" - but for example, the GK cab I tried for a week or so changed the entire sound of my bass. The hartke I tried was the same way. I'm not knocking these brands - I'm just saying they added to much of something to the tone at least for my tastes...

I hope all of this makes sense.

Thanks again

11. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Although I agree with Ampeg cabs not being "hi-fidelity" and more of a vintage sound,the Ampeg heads are no slouch in definition and tone control. I'm getting my Ampeg SVT-4 Pro soon and it's VERY versatile. -Luke

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    So you're saying that despite the Ampeg's "vintage, plain jane" tone - it will still put out the treble? Because if so, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Treble? Absolutely. -Luke

14. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Great - Thanks!! I think I'll give one a run. Return policies are a wonderful thing! If it's not what I want I can always return it!!

15. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Go try one out,no harm there. Try one with a 9-band graphic EQ if possible. -Luke

16. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    >>But I want a cab that doesn't add allot a coloration to my sound

This is something that Dr Bass mentioned he strives to achieve.

As far as the peavey you mentioned, the 115BVX and the 115BVX-BW are differant cabs, the BW stands for Black Widow which has to do with the speaker in it.

Right you are. I should have continued to use the BW designation throughout my post. I got lazy.LOL
    Peavey also makes a Pro line that a dealer chewed my ear about saying how serious Peavey is about a push to credibility. Recruiting name musicians to consult in developement. I believe this Pro line is able to handle big wattage. However,I know the BVX stuff is tops at 300w

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    no, not at all, I would say that person has other equipment failer or dare I say.... tone deaf???? :bag: Just kidding, but I must say I can hear the difference in notes in any range with my ampeg cab with no problem.

18. Hello CGWorkman;
    I too have recently purchased all new equipment and before I made my final purchase I started attending a lot of Open Mike/Jams in my area and had the chance to hear and play thru a vast amount of equipment. Amp wise I have played thur Hartke, GK, Ampeg, Peveay,and Cabinet wise it was Peveay, Ampeg, Acme, Eden, Aguilar. At the Jams you not only get to use the equipment, you get to hear it used by other player. I also would let some of the other Jammer use MY BASS [a 4 String Warwick Thumb Bolt] thru the "House Equip". By doing this I finally made my decision based on 2 factors. First and formost was the tone/sound and 2nd was portability. Being lazy & a senior player...LOL, I decided on the Gallien-Krueger 1001RBII [700 watts @ 4 ohms] and the Ampeg PortaBass 212H cabinet which is a 4 ohm cabinet. I run the GK flat [12 o'clock] on all the tones, boost at 10 o;clock and the contour and presence at about 10 o'clock and the 5 string button engaged. This setup, IMHO is excellent for ME, not to mention the portability of the equipment. The GK is 18 lbs and the Ampeg is 38 lbs. With the 2-12's I get the lows I'm looking for and the GK is a fairly fast acting amp and by using the tone controls on my bass and the amp set up as I mentioned I can go from a smooth, fat, buttery Motown tone to a snarlling aggressive slap tone. But remember this is what I LIKE, everyone IS different. Give it a try......Go to some Jams and see and hear what is being used and the sound of the equipment. You have nothing to lose and you'll have a good time doing it. Let your ears do the work.
    Good Luck
    Coney Island Joe

19. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I have the 4x10he and the 1-15en classic stack the sound is great. But they dont take abuse very well mine looked 10 years old in two weeks and I had to use screws to keep the front from falling off.
    Cases would have been a wise choice for the gig crazed bassist.
    I still like them and would buy again mostly because the shop where I bought them fixed everything that broke without question.

20. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Yea i sound like a broken record....the SVT CL and the 8-10 is the full meal deal. It is not clean but warm and has punch. Yea it is a HEAVY animal but it it keeps me i shape and believe me any workout I get is a good thing :smug: Ampeg is not the flavor of the month right now but the SVT 8-10 combo has always gotten the job done for me. Metal to Jazz to Funk to whatever it cuts through the gain. And hey when the crowd starts throwing beer bottles you have something to stand behind :eek: