Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5stringFanatic, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA

I am thinking of what amp setup to get, and wanted to some advice. I want a modern sound i guess. I want a flexible amp that cna deliver some punchy lows, and some bright highs and mids, and be loud about it at the same time, but stay clear.

Right now, im thinking of purchasing an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro with an Ampeg 8x10 compatible cabinet.

My main bass at the moment is a Warwick Thumb.

Thank you in advance for any help.
  2. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    sorry for adding a reply to my own thread, i was thinking of possibly a 2x15, becasue they would be more bassy -- would the 8x10 beable to compete with the 2x15 as far aws the lows go?

Thanks in advance.
  3. From someone who has been there and done it i would pass on Ampeg and look for better alternatives, for one Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 with either two 410 cabs or 410 and 115.

Ampeg cannot touch the Ashdown for choice of vintage , modern and in between sounds.
  4. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    All I can say is, NICE RIG, but your back is gonna argue with you, unless you have roadies/European Hammer throwing champion girlfirend/Schwarzenegger tendencies.

I have spent the last 4 weeks walking like a geriatric, possible cause.. heavy gear..

(sorry didnt wanna put a dampener on things, just thought I'd add my humble exp to the thread)
  5. From what you said you wanted, it seems a solid state or hybrid amp might be the choice. Tube amps tend to be very warm and growly, and muddy for some. An Ampeg SVT classic would be out of the question, as would be the SVT 2-Pro. I think the SVT 4-Pro might have a MOSFET power amp, which is kind of a balance between tube and solid state. However, the SVT 4-Pro is still tube, which might be too dark and warm for you. You might want to check out solid state heads or hybrids, like Ashdown, Eden, etc. Ampeg even makes solid state heads such as the SVT 300 or whatever it's called. Either of those would give you a more modern, brighter tone.

An 8x10 will be a huge load for you to have to carry. It may be preferable to get 2 4x10s or a 4x10 and 1x15 for flexibility and portability. If you do get a solid state amp, a 4x10 and 1x15 might warm up your tone a bit compared to all 10s, or at least offer extra low end. With an all-tube head, though, a 2x15 will likely be too boomy and muddy.
  6. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Let me clarify my description. Firstly, let me say that i would prefer to have one cabinet instead of 2, like an 8x10, or 2x15. Now, as far as sound goes, my main concern is i want a cabinet that will shake the house with lows, but also deliver those highs and mids, and stay clear.

I dont know if youd call that a modern sound or not, but i want something very punchy. Also, i am pretty sure i want the SVT-4 Pro. Not only have i heard great things about it, i have tested it myself and i love what i can do with it. My main concern is the cabinet itself.

Do you guys think that an 8x10 will deliver those rumbling lows with nice mids and highs? or will a 2x15 better suite my needs? also, i stated before that i want one cabinet, understand that my decision for that is merely from a financial standpoint, i think that purchasing multiple cabinets, like a 1x15 and a 4x10 would be more expensive, correct me if im wrong.

Any guggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time.

7. The Ampeg 8x10 is not a super low cab at all - it's more of a mid-monster that cuts through great. I don't think that a 2x15 will give you more lows then a comparable 8x10 - the 8x10 will have more surface area and *should* move more air. I would certainly go with a 2 cab setup if I were you. My single 4x10 is a beast to move. I think that you are describing more of a *hi-fi* tone then you say "full lows". The more old school tones have a very aggresive midrange and considerably rolled-off low end.
  8. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    i like Ampeg stuff. If you were a little flexible, I would say get the SVT4Pro and 2 BXT410HL4 Cabs. But since you only want 1 cabinet, SWR is the way to go. the SM900 head and Megoliath cabinet are exactly what you want. I don't think that the Ampeg 8x10s are what you are looking for. If you are dead set on Ampeg, the PR410HLF might work for you. It is a pretty hi-fi cab. And it has some serious bottom. Either that or just get 1 BXT410HLF. Some say that it doesn't give as much bottom, but I have had no problem with the lows. And i set my eq flat. B Easy

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I personally recommend the SVT 4 Pro. I have been able to get about any sound I have ever needed/wanted out of mine.

As far as cabinets, if you feel that you need an 810, then go for it, but I have found that the Ampeg SVT 810's do not have the lows the the SVT410 HLF's do. Or the PR410HLF's. I personally do not care for dual 15" cabs, they sound too muddy to me.

I understand your wanting of one cabinet and not two. I used to lug two 410HLF's around with me. But it was overkill. 99 times out of 100, I did not need that kind of volume that two of those cabs powered by an SVT4 Pro was capable of delivering. Stupid loud. (it was fun, though ;) ).
    I have since gone to just one SVT410HLF, which I mono bridge my amp into. It is a lot of power for one cabinet, but I have all the headroom I could ever need. I do take care not to push the eq to the limits or to go crazy with the volume knob. I have been running this way for a couple of years now, playing in a loud rock band that has a tendency to have a LOT of stage volume some nights (when we don't use our in-ears). It's all I need on stage. FWIW, I play with full PA support everywhere I play, so my amp's volume is only necessary on the stage, not to fill the club. But it'll still get VERY loud.
  10. 2x12 and 4x10 stack will do what you want and more.
    get a dolly as well, i think musicians friend has a collapsable dolly for moving gear, like 150 bucks or less. Good luck, and lift with your legs.