Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg -

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bonnarooos, Aug 31, 2005.

1. bonnarooos

bonnarooos

Aug 31, 2005
    hello all, I'm new to the forum and am in the market for a used rig that would be a nice fit for my band...

took a look at this today - http://chicago.craigslist.org/msg/94543522.html

how hard do you think that would be to fix? I'm prety handy but would need some type of instruction on how to do the repair...is it possible?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you know nothing about amplifiers, it would be ill-advised to take on a repair like that without some help. It's doable, but it would be a real shame to destroy a piece of that vintage just because you don't know what you are doing.

Also, "blown transformer" means it's completely DOA. It'll do nothing, therefore you really have no idea of the condition and functionality of the internals in the amp. It's a pretty big crap shoot.

FWIW, that is probably not an ideal amp for everyday gigging. Those old portaflex amps sound amazing and make a great studio amp, but they are not very loud at all and have little or no bottom by today's standards.

Not to mention he still probably going to want $500-$1,000 for it depending on what year it is and the overall condition.

But, if you want a cool vintage amp and really don't care how much $$$ you end up putting in it, I say go for it.

3. The majority of the prices he listed will be about right for just the power transformer, which is fairly expensive on its own

Also, if the power transformers gone, who knows what else it took out with it, those thing can have pretty high voltages going, and if that spiked out through the rest of the amp it probably blew a fair few components

4. bonnarooos

bonnarooos

Aug 31, 2005
    cool - thanks for the heads up - i'll take that all into consideration -

i'd really like to start with a used amp - I have a few small practice amps but nothing for gigs - anyone have any suggestions on places i can find some for sale?

5. A nice started real rig is a peavey firebass and 410, they can be had pretty cheap and are reliable as hell and sound pretty decent

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Buying that amp would only make sense if you have the chops to fix it yourself.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    A power transformer will typically overheat, short, and take out the line fuse, and not cause any other damage. On failure, the voltage will drop, not rise . . . . . but obviously, there are exceptions to everything . . .

- Tim

8. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Just a thought, how does the cost of getting the original transformer rewound compare with buying a replacement? I would have thought it would be quite a bit cheaper.

9. I was going by the theory if whatever punched out the transformer would have taken out some other things, because it can happen, but if the transformer died of natural causes, i spose your right :)

Either way, its a priced lump of iron to replace

10. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    I've been trying to get quotes from people that have used this kind of service but no one seems to have any experience with it.

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It is more expensive....

They are made many at a time.... economies of mass production. But they are re-wound one at a time, AND you have to take them apart, count wires, etc,etc. So you have to do more than twice as much work to re-wind as to make new, and do it far less efficiently.

On top of it, those particular transformers are in a 'case", in which they are encapsulated with a tar-like material. You have to get them out of the "goo" also.

it is messy, more expensive, etc, etc. Of course, if you HAD to, it would be *possible*.

12. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Ah well, was just a thought. With a more straightforward rewind it can be an option though, depending on where you live (dunno where bonneroos lives?). Here in Oz by the time freight costs, gst taxes, duties and local distributor's mark up are all added in replacement parts prices can be horrendous. I once paid over $400 (nearly 10 years ago!) for a transformer for a fender vibrolux that I needed working in a hurry. I've had quotes on rewinds for around $200 locally. So depending on where you live and the particular transformer it can pay off to be sure of your options.