1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dreadbass, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dreadbass

dreadbass

Dec 8, 2007
    I'm buying a new amp for performing but i'm not good in choosing amps so is the ampeg BA115 good? or what should i buy?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    A duck.

3. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Its ok, but for the money I personally would go for an Ashdown Electric Blue or MAG series, more power and a nicer sound for less money. The ampeg combo's sell largely on the companies good reputation and fame, so like fender you know what your getting, but Ashdown's are also renowned for being reliable so...

4. I have played through one of these and they are good clean sounding amps for moderate sound levels. If your gigs entail low to moderate stage volume with a send to the PA then this amp is a good choice providing you like the tone. Other good sounding combos I have worked with are the SWR Working Man 12 (really light and fairly loud. Older models allowed an extension 8 ohm cab to be run with it) and the Fender (? model with a 15" speaker). Good hunting!

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I like Mesa combos. Try to find a Walkabout 15 used.

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Don't mean to get my nose in your biz but what is the ballpark figure
    of what you hope to spend on this new amp rig?

All of us here at TB could run you off a shopping list of our personal faves as
    well as our own dream shopping lists. If I'm ever asked by anyone for advice on
    what to spend their cash on gear wise I ask them to tell me what they figure they
    want to spend.

If the Ampeg BA115 is what you are looking at I'd say go shop used!
    You can score a bigger wattage used Ampeg combo or a really solid Peavey etc,
    for the same amount of cash. The BA115 ain't a bad amp, but for gigs you are going
    to want more wattage than what it can offer as even a scant 3 decibels more can be
    critical in the case of 200 watts vs 100 watts of power.

7. Rufusdewfus

Rufusdewfus

Apr 18, 2003
    canada
    I agree with whomever posted about mesa boogie combos. They're aces. The Ashdownes
    are also good with excellent DI's straight to the console. I have one (Electric Blue) which I
    use on smaller venues. The PA speakers have to be real good to handle bass in the mix.
    Otherwise I don't blend in the mix and use an Ampeg Head and cabs. I'd recommend Head
    and Cabs over combo. That's what I'd do if I had to start over from scratch.