Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by far, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. far

far

Mar 3, 2002
    hey all whats up

i was wondering if anyone could tell what the differences between an ampeg 8x10 and two ampeg 4x10's would be

thank you ;)

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Which Ampeg 8x10 and which Ampeg 4X10s??

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    One has 8 10" speakers, hence the name 810 & the other has 4 10" speakers, hence the name 410.

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think Ryan was saying, BSE-410HLF, BSE-410H, BXT-410HL, SVT410HLF, SVT410HE, PR-410HLF, PR-410H, SVT-810E, SVT-810HP, PR-810H. Pick two and we'll let you knowhow they would match up. :D

5. I think the original question was asking what the difference would be between running an 8x10 and TWO 4x20's. I know, it does make a difference which individual cabs we use, but what's the difference in say... an SVT810 and 2 SVT410HE's?

6. far

far

Mar 3, 2002
    yes thanks cubeenz...those are the 2 choices ;)

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Two 4x20s? That'd be a tower of power, baby!

:D

8. far

far

Mar 3, 2002
    whoops sorry lol....i think we meant two 4x10's ;)

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It depends whick 410's you wanna use.

If you plan to use 2 SVT-410HLF's you'd have a total load of 2ohms. Alot of heads don't go down to 2ohms.

If you plan to use 2 SVT-410HE's it'll be a 4 ohm load same to the SVT-810. I don't know the exact sound differences you will gwt but the 2 SVT-410HE's have a horn in each cab that will give a higher frequency. The SVT-810 dosen't have a horn.

I'd recomend getting 2 410HLF's & finding an amp that would go down to 2ohms, like an SVT Classic, SVT II PRO, SVT IV PRO, B4R etc. The SVT-410HLF's have a really nice low emd & w/the horn in each you's have a nice highs.

10. the difference is....how much do you have to carry it?....i have an 810 cabinet,,,and a 410 cabinet.....i get the same volume from both. so it depends on how much muscle you want to build up !

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 410HE rig and an 810 don't really sound all that different at all except for the tweeter, which for me is either off or just barely on. But they're very much in the same tonal family.

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    7 year old thread, guys. :)

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    It all falls back on the old adage "think before you answer". In this case, it took seven years to formulate a response. Portability is a consideration although not always a priority.

Riis

14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    You necromancer! ;) Probably since 2002, he's changed over to 5 different brands and then back to Ampeg by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.