Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Oct 29, 2002.

1. is a svp-pro just a svt with out a power amp.

if i buy a ampeg svp pro preamp and buy a carvin power amp would it sound the same as a svt 3 or any of the othere svt with out tube power amps.

2. i believe the preamp in the svp-pro is the same as that which is in the svt 3 pro. as for getting the same sound as any svt...i highly doubt. i have an svt 3 pro and a mid 70's svt...nothing can compare to that all tube monster in the line of tone. the svt 3 sound is excellent, but just not the same grunt as the vintage svt. you'll sound good with the svp-pro and a power amp though.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The SVP-Pro is the same pre-amp as used in both the SVT and the SVT-III Pro (wow-all these letters!)
    Using the Ampeg pre-amp with a Carvin (or any other power amp for that matter) will sound great, as the Ampeg circuit IMO is voiced so excellent.
    However, there would be a sonic difference insofar as the voicing between the all tube power section of the SVT or the fet power of the III Pro.
    I believe it to be a result of the "interaction" between power transparency and pre-amp voicing.
    That's why there are so many great possibilities for sounds, and that's why there will never be enough $$ (least for ME) to try out all those great combinations-not to mention speaker cabs-
    My current GAS would cost me around $4000-
    and I already have some real nice stuff!!

4. i know the svt 3 doesnt have tube power amp i was asking this cause i figured if i got the svp i could have more watts but i want the sound of the svt 3.

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    What you will get is the sound of the SVP preamp
    colored by the Carvin power, which will sound excellent all considered. I was just pointing out that
    there is a "sonic relationship "as to the integrated power section(s) of the SVT (tube) & PRO III (mosfet) & the SVT preamp section contained in each.
    Then you gots your speakers, your bass, your fingers, & your brain, all of which make up the whole 9-yards of sound!:D

6. i understand that all the parts effect the sound. i wasnt sure if one soildstate power amp sounds diffent then another soildstate.

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I kinda think they do, Ben..some players are very discerning, some aren't as picky.
    I think we all have to plug + play, & then figure out what works for us.
    Me personally, I feel I've got the "sounds"
    (3 diff rigs) but could use about half a dozen more!!:D

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Actually...the SVT III Pro preamp section is unique among the SVT Pro series. The SVP Pro has the same preamp as the SVT II Pro and is derivative of the original SVT. The EQ points on the III Pro are different than the others, otherwise, it, too, is similar to the SVP and SVT II Pro. The SVT IV Pro is a different animal, altogether.
    If you want the sound of the SVT III(or 3)Pro, but more power, the SVP Pro with the power amp of your choice will give it to you. While there ARE some differences between the SVP and SVT III Pro preamp sections, they are not THAT different...the character of both is the same. What's left is the choice of your amp. I use a QSC PLX 1602 under my F-1X and really like it. Others don't like amps with switching power supplies for bass and go for the lead-sleds...Obviously, I'm not one of them. Another thought...If you have or want and SVT III Pro with more power, you can simply use its preamp section with the power amp of your choice...if you need less juice, just grab the SVT III Pro and go. I used mine that way before getting the Alembic and it sounded wonderful!

Kim

9. every time i ask this i get a diffent answer. with a svt3 and 4x10 cab as a rig can u do pretty much any gig.

10. Also, the SVP has 5 tubes, the SVT 3 pro has 4

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Correction, the SVT III (and 3) Pro also have five tubes: four 12AX7s and one 12AU7. The SVP has five 12AX7s.

Kim

12. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    the svp pro actually has four 12ax7's and 1 12au7

13. Funny, every SVT-3 and 3pro i;ve ever seen or retubed has had 4 12ax7s, and my SVP has 4 12ax7 and a 12au7

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Just checked my Ampeg specs...at least the "blackface" SVP Pro had five 12AX7As, the "hammertone" one probably has the 12AU7. Again, Ampeg's published specs COULD be wrong...it wouldn't be the first time a company's proofreaders were napping.

Kim

RBM: you musta missed a tube, repeatedly:) !

15. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    what's the hammertone svp? mine is the older looking one and when i checked inside, it has four 12ax7's and one 12au7. then on the ampeg site, it says the same for the new ones. i don't know much about the proofreaders for their site, so it could be an oversight on their part.

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The "hammertone" refers to the style of industrial paint used on the newer Ampegs...it's kinda like a dark silver. I am beginning to suspect that several years' worth of specs that I have on the "older" SVP Pro are in error. They all list five 12AX7As...sure would make more sense if the fifth tube were a 12AU7! Gotta understand...I work for the government...if it makes sense, it's against the rules!

Kim

17. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    I know this thread went cold, but Rok51 had it right. There seems to be a lot of folks here and in the Ampeg forum that believe the SVP-Pro is the pre-section from the SVT3, not the SVT2. So, I decided to weed through the manuals on the Ampeg site and run a comparison for myself.

The SVP-Pro and SVT2-Pro preamps seem nearly identical. Same layout, same EQ points, all of the switches (Ultra Lo, Ultra High, and Bright) do exactly the same things at the same frequency centers. The 9 Band has all the same frequencies with the exact same amount of boost and cut.

The SVT3-Pro however, has different EQ points for the Bass control, treble control, Ultra Lo switch, and Ultra Hi switch. The boost/cut controls on all 9 EQ sliders, the mid, and Bright switches are also different. Actually, only 3 bands of the graphic EQ are the same frequency centers as on the the SVP/SVT2 EQ. For giggles, I compared the SVT3-Pro and SVT4-Pro and found that the tonal controls are at the same frequency centers on those amps. They are different amps with different features, but the tone centers are the same.

Now for the disclaimers;) Ampeg has been known to publish wrong information. I do not have access to, nor would I understand, the schematics on each of these preamps. It seems to me that based on the layout and tonal controls from the published manuals, the SVP-Pro and SVT2-Pro are the same pre-amp with the SVT2-Pro having a tube power section added.

As for the sound, I have a SVP-Pro and a pair of SVT410-HLF's. I love it! I hope one day to be able to try out the SVT2-Pro to see if I want to go all tube!

18. There was a thread about "what colors your sound more the pre-amp or the power-amp" about 2 wks ago. Since it was my thread and I read every response I can give you what I think is an informed answer. According to Bob(QSC) good quality SS amps won't have much difference in tonal quality accross the board. So I don't think there will be a whole lotta difference between say a Carvin DPC 1000 or a QSC RMX 1400 in tonal quality. The QSC might have a bit more head room. However, when you go comparing this with tube amps you have to throw the whole thing out the window because tube amps sound different than SS PERIOD.