Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Correct me if I am wrong, but every time I watch a live Concert on TV or attend one in person, I see AMPEG, AMPEG and AMPEG amps and Cabinets everywhere !!!

At least 95% of the time, that is what I see !!!

I guess it`s time for me to really consider them !!!
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yup, get an SVT-III Pro, or a SVT-II pro, or a SVT-CL, none of the B series, unless your into all-solid state.
  3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I love Tube Amps, actually.

I was looking at the SVT-CL recently.

It seems a great Amp, and heavy too !!!

This would go well with my Rickenbacker 4003 !!!
  4. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Yes, it would, wouldn't it!!
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  6. Don't do it cuz that's all you see, Do it cuz it's The Greatest Amp in the World!
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    They do make good amps, yes. And because if that, thats why everyone uses them!

I dunno, can an amp company "sell out" :rolleyes:
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    that's Ok, I picked the B4r over the SVT3. that's what makes the world go 'round. different strokes.:cool:
  10. Ampeg is just great. My next rig will be QSC powered, but ampeg pre amp'd. And I may run the 2x10 out of the future rig as a monitor like CB and leave the 4x10 where it normally would be.
  11. Man, my rig is an AMPEG SVT-CL and a SWR Goliath Sr.(6X10)...

To me is the ****ing best, try it you won't be disappointed!!!:bassist:
  12. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    When I tried out the ampeg gear, I was dissatisfied like crazy. I didnt get the bass I wanted. Too treblly. I guess I should try them out again now that I aint suck a nub.
  13. Anyone have an opinion on the older SVT400? How does it stack up tone-wise against the newer B-series or tube powered SVTs?

Just wonderin, cause i could use a new 400 watt head... :cool:

14. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I was in Guitar Center yesterday,and they had just put out a new Mesa-Boogie 400+ head.I hadn't played through one of these in years,because the last time I did,I hated it.
    Back then,it was the older 400 version,and the graphic eq's circuit sounded like crap.When I disengaged it,I found that I couldn't shape the tone well enough,so I just wrote the amp off.
    The newer 400+'s eq sounds ALOT better,so out of curiousity I A/B'd the Boogie 400+ against Ampeg's SVT-II Pro,using the same two basses(a Fender Deluxe P-bass Special,and a used Pedulla Rapture active five string),and through the same cabinet(SWR Goliath 6x10 cab).
    The Ampeg has a deeper low end push,that you can feel,as much as hear,and it sounds really good.The Boogie sounds close to the what the Ampeg sounds like,but there's not quite as much of the low end push as described above.
    I attribute this to the different type of power tubes used by both companies.Ampeg uses six 6550 power tubes,while Boogie opts for twelve 6L6 power tubes.The 6550s are bigger,so that obviously produces a deeper lowend.The 6l6s don't produce as much power,hence Boogie using twice as many to make the amp as powerful(or maybe more)as the Ampeg.
    I play with a light fingerstyle touch like Gary Willis does(w/o his chops)so I can dig in when I want to get some bite,so your opinion my vary,but I personally like the Boogie better.The low end seems to be more focused and articulate,like the tubes are compressing at a ratio that suits my tastes.
    I respectfully suggest trying the Boogie out before buying the Ampeg,so you'll know for sure which amp will work for you the best.
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you go to Ampeg's website, you'll see a TREMENDOUS number of famous names that use thier products. MUCH more so, than any other amplification manufacturer.

But, to answer the "Sell Out" question,,, I think its friggen retarded for anyone to think Ampeg is a sell out,, for making the best amp gear known to mankind. It was probably a joke, & I've had too much caffeine to recognize it! hehe.
  16. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    they are great, and that's why i'm a proud ownder of an svt classic and an 8x10
  17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Even with a small Ampeg B-100R my 4003 sounds fantastic. yes you should consider an Ampeg :)
  18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Since I use flatwound strings, I was considering an Ampeg B100R. I've heard nothing bad about those at all.

Some say it's a bit heavy at 65 pounds. Well, my Fender BXR100 weighs 64. Hey, nothing that casters, or a dolly couldn't fix.

Over at bass gear review, Brad Johnson has a review of that amp. He's playing many styles on many different basses. He says it handles them all very well, and his opinion is one I would trust no problem.

Maybe in the future, a B2R on top of an Ampeg 4x10. I've tried that setup before-sounded awesome. The B2 115 combo sounded great as well.

Since Christmas is only a few months off, hmm......
  19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Oh, for you guys who use the B100R; hows the reliability been? Just curious. I've heard ampegs can take quite a pounding, and still keep right on going (not that I beat my stuff :) )
  20. I like to think of Ampeg as the Fender of amps. Their amps (like the SVT Pro series) are pretty much as common as any P bass. But remember: just because everyone uses them doesn't mean they're right for you. Though I do like Ampeg amps, I'd rather go other brands since I feel I can get a good sound out of something less expensive. Other things to consider are weight, compatibilities, head room, etc. Do a lot of reading and testing before making that amp decision! It's a lot of research, but it's worth it.