Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampegorama

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StoutXXX, May 13, 2005.

1. Alright.. I just added to the SVT3 and 6x10 arsenal buy buying a SVT Classic and an 8x10 Cab. Whoa thats ****s heavy in more ways the one. A couple Questions for the crew here. Its got the old blue and red writing..is there an approx. date I can judge this amp on age with? Has anyone had biasing issues with this head? My buddy had it worked on a few times but I believe it was because he was a little rough on the road with it and gave the tubes hell. New tubes, full service and one gig later shes been going strong with me. Also has anyone gotten a roadcase for this head and do they have any idea on where I should start to protect this investment? Thanks for the help ahead of time and by the way I ran both 4 ohm ampeg cabs 6 and 8x10 at the last gig and it was rockin. I always wondered what the hype was about. Now to A and B my two heads at stage volume to really get a good idea on the volume and tone differences. Ive noticed at practice volume there isnt much difference but just that the classic sounds meatier. One last thing. I have a DBX 160 compressor..it does wonders for the SVT 3 should I even bother trying to work it with the classic or is that just wrong? oops no FX loop nevermind. Cheers!

2. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Yah, I used to run the SVT410HLF + SVT610HLF with the SVT-CL - and as you said, "it's what the hype's all about..."

I bet the 810 + 610HLF + CL peels paint. Nice rig!

3. Very nice rig man! I'm really curious about that 610HLF. Whats it like?

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    are you sure that the SVT pro 3 can handle a 2 ohms impedance ?

5. The 6x10 is awesome and when we do road gigs im still taking that one because of portability and weight issues. Onstage in a smaller venue it doesnt make that much of a difference between the 8 and the 6 tens. The SVT3 will not support 2 ohms wont try it and never will but the CL will rock those two cabs for all they are worth.

6. How's the lows on it when youve got it up loud (Over 600 watts maybe)? I heard it farts out pretty easily from a lot of people.

7. Well loud is relative. I doubt theres much diff in volume between 600 watts and my SVT3(450watts) after I eq and compress accordingly. It has never farted out as long as you dont pump to much **** it cant handel into it. Maybe the compressor tightens everything up. But Its always beena great cab practice and onstage as by far I have always gotten compliments on how it cuts thru and sustain wise holds alot of bass. I run Bass 3/4 mid about the same and highs about the same. No buttuns punched in for low or high support. Drop the 33hz slider ALL the way down cause it doesnt do anything but eat headroom and boost 80hz alot and leave the rest flat. The cab seems to like that. And heavy compression with the dbx and its souunds tight. By the way I used the CL at practice today with the 6x10 alone and i dont think they are a great combo ...that head really needs two cabs I think. Anyone have any ideas on an ampeg 2 pro...? I kinda want an FX loop to compress and ****e.

8. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    SVT 3 pro will not handle 2ohm's it's 4 ohm minimum, however I believe he's refereing to the SVT 3 head not the rackable SVT 3 Pro....
    just my.02

9. Naw Im reffering to the pro and stated above it wont handel that 2 ohm load. sooo anyone got any idea on rack cases or svt2 pros?