Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampegs not as swell as they used to be

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Thump, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    I plugged into a new svt and 810 cab at the music store yesterday and I just couldn't get a decent sound out of it I was trying out a special edition Sterling,I used to have a mid 70s ampeg svt rig and it totally was it for sound, I've been using my G.K. 800 since '83 and with the sansamp sounds better than the new ampeg. Really Surprized.

2. I like my 8x10..some say its muddy..mine is not muddy...if you eq it right. and it has that nice punch and grind that i like ampeg cabs for...then again I really don't care about their heads. I like their pre's though. I play mine thru a BBE BMax. Which is a pretty clear sounding pre.

3. Its quite common if you look about here, not many fans of the newer SVT's, older ones are definatly better ( imo )

Mine aint quite a 70's one, but its from the late 80's and is better than current production imho :)

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow , i played a friends new 810 cabinet and it sounded great !!

of course , he also owns a 70's SVT , which just happened to be plugged into the new cab ...

5. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    not sure what's up with that. I've used new SVTs several times at outdoor shows, when they were provided as house backline (hey, I love em, but I won't carry em). They always sounded great to me.

/rick

6. have you ever compaired a new SVT to an old one?

it seems like there isnt a HUGE difference in the sound quality of the new and old cabs tho

well, not as big as the amp difference

7. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    It was like playing a really loud older Bassman,just mud and I tweaked it a ton, As mentioned I originally come from the Ampeg camp,not trying to diss the Ampeg gang here, I was just really dissapointed and surprized. Cheers

8. its cool man, i didn't think you were dissing anyone. I think its more the head giving the mud than the cab though. Then again some say its vice-versa..so there u go. lol. I like Mesa/Boogie.

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I usually use a newer 90's 8x10 cab with older SVT heads in a loud classic rock band. I don't get mud. It may be your eq. Also, the SVT really shines best when its cranked in the mix (IMO), so maybe the music store wasn't the best place to make the final judgement. The traditional Ampeg 8x10 is really 4 sealed 2x10 cabs, not ported, which I really like. Plenty of punch and volume and plenty well defined.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am borrowing a buddy's vintage ('69 or '70) SVT rig, and I am really having a blast! I have noticed, though, that both the cab and the head really come into their own when you drive them at about 75% or more. Conversely, neither really sounds all that good to me at lower volumes. I have used the head to power other cabs (Vintage SVT into a Berg NV215 is godlike!), and other heads to power the SVT 8x10 (Eden VT-300A and Trace Elliot V8 really drive it nice!), and this "75% rule" has held true across the board. Again, this is just to my ears, at least.

I've decided that while I might like to add a vintage SVT head to my collection, I think I'll pass on the 8x10. The NV series from Bergantino seems to capture all that I like about the vintage Ampeg 8x10's, but they are far easier to move, and sound better at a variety of volumes.

Later, Tom.

11. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    I've been thinking about investing in an SVT pro 4... I tried all of Ampeg's newer amps the other day and the 4 just sounded great. I've never played an older Ampeg - do they really sound much better?

12. The circuit changed. Different tubes and two-channel vs. single-channel are the biggest fundamental differences.

The tone of the old ones was much more complex and interesting IMO. Something fuzzy and pillowy in the low to high mids that I've only heard come out of an old SVT.

13. What is better? Only you can decide.

If better means the one that has that certain fuzzy wuzzy grindy pillowy thing goin' on in the mids then I'd go older (though I can't speak for the 1969 first year editions that used the 6146b output tubes).

IMO, the newer ones (that is, the CL model) aren't necessarily "less than". But they are definitely "different than". I know this because I spent a lot of time trying to get my CL to sound like my original. No matter what I did to the CL I could not get it to sound like my old does when it's just simply set flat and at any volume. It has "that" sound just automatically without tweaking a thang. Never had to fight it.

So does that make it better? For me, yes. But if one is not attracted to "that" sound then it's not better.

14. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I'll leave it to the technically gifted to discuss old vs. new Ampeg circuitry. As far as new (SLM) sounds---
    as a player-
    I did some shows recently-
    Outdoors, Festival- SVT as backline, DI'd thru FOH--Of course the rig was paired with the "fridge"!
    5,000 souls dancing in the street. Awesome. The bass punched the entire crowd in the gut- I'm at a loss as to how to describe good it sounded, fo' real. People told me, too.

My own V4BH w/ a SVT-48HE (4x8), DI'd by a great soundman in a medium club- 200 dancing fools-
    Oh wow, was it ever nice.

The same rig, stand-alone, un-reinforced outdoors, about 400 people dancing as the sun set....BOOM! It was unreal!

Play what you want, play what is your voice, play what you need,,,,but Please----

Please don't ever say Ampeg doesn't sound good.
    Please.
    You are wrong. Know what I'm saying????

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I have yet to play a vintage SVT, but the CLs & AVs all sound like pure mud to me. Same with the modern cabs. I really wanna try a vintage one though, as that would probably suit my sound much better.

A muddy bassman? ***? :eyebrow:

Ampeg doesn't sound good (to me). There I said it. :spit: I am not wrong (to me). If I wanted to sound like the majority of rock bassists out there, i'd play Ampeg. But I don't. I have my own voice. And that voice ain't Ampeg. To me, the Ampeg sound is the equivelent of preppy girls with their "OMG SERIOUSLY!!!" voice. Overused, overrated & annoying. But that's just me.

16. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    ive A/B'ed between a sansamp and a vintage SVT, and they sounded damn close to the same. but the new SVTs dont sound much different than the ampeg solid state heads if you ask me. def not worth the money and up-keep. i do love the ampeg 8x10s though, especially when used with GK heads (and sansamp of course).

17. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    \

Ampeg doesn't sound good (to me). There I said it. :spit: I am not wrong (to me). If I wanted to sound like the majority of rock bassists out there, i'd play Ampeg. But I don't. I have my own voice. And that voice ain't Ampeg. To me, the Ampeg sound is the equivelent of preppy girls with their "OMG SERIOUSLY!!!" voice. Overused, overrated & annoying. But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

That's right....that's just you.
    What you need to say is that the way you play, and the music you play, and your attack, style, technique, etc. doesn't sound good to you thru an Ampeg. Your call.

Preppy Girls? *** are YOU talking about? Is that a term related to sonic quality? Wow, gotta think about that one.
    And yep, you are wrong- because Ampeg doesn't sound good when YOU play through one. You.
    Me, that's a different story- I sound very good thru an Ampeg.
    Not like the "majority of rock bassists" either, whatever that is. I play Reggae/Old Funk and R&B- for a living, on the road.
    And my Ampeg gets total respect from EVERY FOH and soundman I've ever used. Go figure. But then, what do they know?

18. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Does this have anything to do with the Ampeg sellout/buyout deal that happened a few months ago? What was the name of the company that bought Ampeg? Too Loud Sound Inc. or something like that. I was afraid that this would happen. Now I wish I would have kept all of the pre-buyout Ampeg gear I used to own. I'd be rich. Like the guys that loaded up on SWR gear before the sellout to Fender. Oh well. :meh:

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Ampeg has been sold a few times, nothing to waorry about with the recent buy.

20. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    Did'nt mean to flame on the Bassman lovers out there,I just felt they made better guitar amps,I found them muddy, as to the SVT I was just trying to see if other people had found the newer ones not as good or if I just happened on a bad one, I did try a few of the hybrids and they sounded great as did that new Traynor yba 200 ,all thru the fridge. When i had my SVT rig I ran a white "74 Rick into her. Majic The neck cracked on the Rick real sad. Cheerio