Ampeg's Orphans:PR1528 and PR1832

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rumblefish, Aug 13, 2003.

1. I was thinking about all the cool cabinet designs
    Ampeg has put forth over the years.
    They put alot of R & D dollars into a design then the product disappears after a short while.
    Mabey it's the Darwinian nature of things: a good
    design will stand the test of time (SVT810HE).
    I remember the 70's era V-4B cabinet: a single 15" folded horn about the ISOBARIC
    cabinet..that was wild.
    Who else can recall a nice design that never really caught on?
    I'm using a PR1528 and I really like it!
    It really cranks out a full spectrum of sound,especially the lows.
    Who else has the 1832? Is it as good as the advertisements made it out to be?
  2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Got any pics of those cabs? How about the drivers config's? Sounds cool....
  3. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I've got the 1832. It is truly awesome but a pain the ass like the 810 to move around. I've never biamped it and never put more than 300W into it yet. Even gigging where I'm not running through the mains I've never had the master volume on my Nitrobass head past 3. The HF driver is the best I've heard in anything I've ever owned.

You can still download the .pdf of the owners manual from Ampeg's site. I think the first page shows a pic of these beasts.
  4. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    The 1832 has an 18 angled down towards the floor, 2x10's angled slightly up with a pair of 6's and the HF driver.

I think the 1532 is a 15 with a pair of 8's and horn?
  5. Yes, the PR1528 is indeed a 15 and 2 8's plus a horn.
    The cab is a stubby little fellow and I discovered it thrives on a steady diet of hi-wattage solid state power.
    I originally used it with my V4Bh head, Oh it sounded quite good, but the thing is rated for like 500 watts or so...
    I kicked it up a notch with the purchase of the
    Ampeg B5R.
    The B5R, seldom discussed on this board, has a 2 ohm capability and really makes the cab come alive.
    I read alot of talk about the SVT2pro and SVT3pro and the other hi-end heads put out by Ampeg, but in my book the stone-simple B5R is best for me:
    I want simple controls and simple set up, I don't want to go bridged mono, or two channel or have
    to lug the owners manual with me to make sure it's set up correctly.
    Here's my latest set up: B5R,PR1528 (4 ohm) and
    an Avatar 212 (4 ohm).
    The rig is powered by the maximum 500 watt output
    and each cab gets a solid 250 watts to play with.
  6. Boltbaby

Aug 14, 2005
    Medford OR
    I've got the PR1528 and you can't get a more flexible and compact 4 ohm cab for the money. Unfortunately, I think my horn driver is going out. Does anyone know what it takes to replace it?