Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg's PB series cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Jun 20, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guy's i was wondering if anyone has experiance with amoegs porto bass series cabs. I got offered a smokin deal for the 2x10 and i wonder if its a good buy? Obviously i know it's portable. And i did do a search and found a few things about the series but not enough to make me feel comfortable about getting one yet.

Thx
    rob

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've played through the PB-110H and was quite impressed with the tone...deep, warm and full. It didn't get very loud though. I don't know about the 210.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is a 4 ohm cabinet so you won't be able to add another unless your amp can handle a 2 ohm load.

How smokin of a deal? (if I may ask)

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I found these cabs sound nice, but they fart out at a pretty low volume. Good for small jams or home studio use.

4. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    They have very low sensitivity, which causes that they are not the best bet when you play in loud band.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    This single 10 farts out quickly. The dual 10 cab is a completely different animal. I haven't got it to fart out yet, and it is very smooth on the lower bass. The single is nice for practice, and I have no idea why the dual is so much better, but is is. They were selling the singles for $99 at GC a couple of months ago. I got my dual for $269, but that seems to be be about $20 more than what they paid for it. I got pretty lucky.
    Wes

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Wes, that's good to hear!

GC had the 1x10s for $99 on Memorial Day although a guy in the Seattle area told me that he bought 1x10s for $49 and a 2x10 for $99. I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not, but I've heard from a more reliable Seattle area source that the managers at the GCs out there do some pretty wild pricing sometimes...so it could be true.

7. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    $99 is insane! I would buy another one at that price!

8. You ain't seen the half of it...if you think that's a deal!

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Just for the record, newer 210 and 212 PB cabinets have a good bit higher sensitivity.

At least 6dB better sensitivity, which means double the volume. The updated speakers in them come from Eminence.

You might want to consider them again, if you were put off by the low sensitivity of the earlier versions.

10. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    mine must be the older ones. They have a 3.5 lb speaker in them from Aura speaker company. Real flimsy speaker, but great sound.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    tictacs...I've heard of some real deals coming out of the Pacific NW...brand new $199 SWR IOD, dirt cheap Ampeg Pro cabinets, etc. Personally I've enjoyed some incredible prices at the Chicago area stores...brand new basses for more than 60% off list, nice heavy duty dc power supplies for a penney, $1500 acoustic guitar for $299. Sat out quite a few too...Ampeg B50R for $152 brand new, Ampeg B2 or B2 combo (B2R amp, 1x15) for about $300.

The Memorial Day sale was not up to the level of others but I always enjoy it when GC prices new MIM Strats for $199 while being unwilling to budge on the used one hanging next to it priced at $299... It's fun to ask the salesguy to explain that.

12. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Ampeg Insider,

I recently bought a pair Portabass series 1x12s from a local GC. How can I tell if these cabnets have the earlier version of these spaekers. And if they do, is there any posible way to upgrade my spakers to the newer Eminence ones?

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I was asked that before, and I think I forgot to reply....oopsie..I hope the person who asked reads this....

Anyhow, the 112 is not upgraded. And, we only have the 8 ohm version of the speaker available at present, so there wouldn't be any advantage.

For the 212, the old speaker is the Aura, 86-027-08, and the new one is 86-059-08. Since the same cabinet part number is used for the new and older version, it looks like either speaker fits, you may be able to take out and drop in for the 212.

As far as telling them apart, the old version have a cylindrical magnet structure, typical of neo. The new ones are a lightweight ceramic magnet type, NOT neo (I mis-stated before). They are literally only ounces heavier than the neo ones, though.

14. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    9 months after Ampeg Insider mentioned the newer versions are 6db more sensitive, and still the Ampeg website gives the 93db sensitivity rating. Any way you can tell the older version from the newer without taking the speaker out and looking at the magnet? Any visual clues or serial numbers, etc.?

15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Well, actually I said it only a couple months ago. You might be looking at the join date?

Yes, they are slow about changing stuff. It is a big website, but still........

16. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Yup, you're right. Looked at the join date. Is there a way to tell the new from the old by visual inspection of the exterior only? Serial #, etc?