Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampegs SVT 5pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by richie, Sep 4, 2003.

1. richie

richie

Dec 12, 2002
    San Diego County
    looking for some info on these.
    anybody have one that has any feedback?
    I played one ( ampeg svt pro 5) at G.C
    and was fairly impressed.
    any feed back would be apreciated.
    Rich

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    When I bought my rig (Ampeg B2R, SVT610HLF) had I the money I would've definitely bought this amp. It sounds great, and the overdrive is very nice in my opinion. If you don't want the overdrive though you might as well get the SVT 4Pro.

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    I just tried one at GC 2 days ago. What I'm really interested in is the SVP-BSP, but they didn't have one in stock. They had the SVT5 which uses the same preamp so I figured it would sound about the same.

It might have been the bass they gave me to use, but it didn't sound at all like an SVT to me. :meh:

The overdrive sounded kinda "scream"-ey when cranked, I was expecting more of an SVT "grunt". Maybe if I used less it would be more "grunt"-ey. The screamy overdrive was very contourable using the OD channel mid control and could get some near-feedback sounds even at low volume. It reminded me of a Big Muff distortion sound, without the compression of a Big Muff. On the downside, all the lows were lost when the OD was cranked. I had both channel's bass controls all the way up and it still didn't have much on the low end - and this was running into the 410HLF cab! I really liked the EQ on the clean channel, but to hear it I had to mix in a lot of clean and so lost a lot of the OD sound.

Using an active bass, the noise gate kept cutting off the sound. I had to turn it off. Plugged into the passive input the peak indicator was going crazy. If Ampeg made the active input pad -10dB instead of -15, the gate might be usable.

So I wasn't too thrilled with it for a first impression. But if I had a chance to try it again without some GC idiot salesman standing over my shoulder the whole time, I would take more time with it and try a few different basses.

YMMV