Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skaat, Jan 7, 2002.

1. skaat

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm just curious, what's so great about ampegs? I'm more of a gallien-kruegger fan myself, and I've been thinking about upgrading to something with more power than the RB400III can offer. Lots of people have been telling me to try ampegs though.

Any thoughts about this would be appreciated
  2. I think that a lot that is because Ampeg is one of the most well known names. I personaly have an ampeg rig but I have p[layed a GX rig to and liked it a lot more than my rig..very similar power and cab arrangements. But I've heard people talk about poor reliability with GK though I couldn't provided eveidence either way. Ah hell..there are plenty of people with more experience on here that could answer your question a bit better
  3. It's a different sound, entirely.

Different tonal character, similar power...
  4. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    For those of us who love the older stuff like classic rock and Motown, Ampegs were used for a LOT of those recordings. It's the bass sound that we're familiar with and have grown to associate with what good bass tone is.
  5. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Nothing great... But your ears my say otherwise.
  6. I like their tube heads. Really powerful. sound. :) The cabs are pretty good too.
  7. Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    Personally, I've liked every Ampeg I've ever played through. They've just got this nice warm sound.
  8. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i have one the older 800rb..i hear everyone wants one..i have had nothing but problems..250 dollars
    later its still cutting out..i bought a svt350h and the problems are gone