1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampge SVT-410HLF vs. Avatar 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walknbluez, Apr 23, 2009.

1. I currently run my SWR Workingman 400 watt head through a 4 ohm Avatar 2x12 in a rock trio context. Sounds decent enough but the cab does start to break up ever so slightly at times. I've been searching for the vintage sound and will probably purchase a new head as soon as I find the one I'm looking for. Do you think the SVT410HLF would be an improvement over the Avatar 2x12? I have an opportunity to buy one used for $500 and wanted to see if I'd actually be upgrading or just trading equal sound.

2. microknee

microknee

Aug 28, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I've never used an Avatar cab, but I've been using a SVT410HLF for 3 solid years now and I can tell you that it is a beast. It still sounds fantastic and I've never had any issues with it. For vintage sound, you can't get any better than Ampeg, IMO.

3. With regard to some comments that is sounds boomy, would this be only in cases where there is not enough power?

4. Ive got an Avatar 212 neo and an Eden 410xlt and I personally love the Avatar 212. I think it is one of the better sounding cabs Ive played through. Ive got a buddy with a 410hlf and Ive never been that impressed with it. To me its too boomy and not clear enough...but to each his own.

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Oddly enough, I've had ALL THREE of those pieces of gear! Personally, I would spend the money on a different head. $500 is a bit much for an HLF (there are a ton around, so getting one used isn't hard, and they are pretty much indestructable). Also, I had problems with it being boomy (but I'm not a 5 string player). A hybrid head like some of the newer Mesas would give you bit more vintage sound than the SWR. But, no, I wouldn't buy the new cab before your new amp. Stick with the Avatar, its one of the pieces of gear I wish I'd never sold.

6. Yea I love my 212 Neo. I'm thinking about selling the Eden cab and buying another one just for extra volume and body to my sound.

7. Yeah a new head is on the list too, I just have not been able to find the one I want used.

We play loud sometimes so what is happening is I'm getting some "rattle" when we're really rockin'.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I love my 410 HLF and I paid $700 for it brand new. It does go low down in the frequency department, but at least in my opinion, I dont get a muddy or boomy sound with it. I have a Ric which is naturally trebley and this balances it out nicely. But I have heard that the Avatars are great cabs for the money, so like the others have said, maybe look into getting a new head instead.

9. microknee

microknee

Aug 28, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Can't say, I've never experienced a power problem that affected my tone in that way. I'm just guessing, but what qualifies as "boominess" may sometimes chalk up to a matter of taste.