Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amphead choices & G.A.S. -- Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spooner2112, Nov 4, 2005.

1. spooner2112

spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Well, my major G.A.S. attack continues, thanks to an unexpected big fat bonus check I received from my day job. :hyper:

After reading this forum, I took the plunge and bought a Schroeder 21012 cab. I've played it one gig so far, and it's awesome. I also recently bought a '98 MIA P-bass off of eBay, which is great. My other main gigging bass is a Reverend Rumblefish PJ.

So, now I'm thinking of "upgrading" my amp head to go with the Schroeder 21012 cab. I currently gig with an Ampeg SVT-3Pro; it's served me well but I've never been completely happy with the tone, and I'd like a bit more headroom. I had to buy the Ampeg very quickly on short notice at GC for a gig that evening, when my old Trace Elliot head fried during the previous night's gig. (Luckily, I have a 200W GK 1200SEB I bring as a back-up.)

I currently gig in a blues band and a hard rock/metal band. I attempt to get a "Duck Dunn" type of tone in the former, and a "Steve Harris" tone in the latter. (Both bassists are big influences of mine.) We play small to medium clubs, and an occasional outdoor gig. Usually we have no PA support for instruments.

Here are the heads/options I'm considering. I don't necessarily have a good ear for EQ-ing an amp, so I like to get a good tone without too much tweaking:

1. Thunderfunk 550
    2. Yorkville XS800H
    3. Kustom Groove 1200
    4. GK 1001RB-II
    5. Some preamp/power amp combo?
    6. None of the above, or just keep the Ampeg.

Any comments/suggestions? :confused:

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use and like:
    TFB420! compact, light, great tone shaping. great DI, a great single handful

Eden wt800b: more power than the tfb 420, ability to run setero or bridged, great though smaller eq section. Good DI, heavier than the TFB.

In a large flight rack I have:
    BBE B-Max
    Eden Navigator
    qsc/plx 1602
    The bbe b-max is a great electric only preamp. I don';t use it too much anymore since I am primary playing DB...
    Which the Navigator does well, in addition to doing electric real well also.
    You could easily put the navigator and qsc in a light 4 space rotomolded rack.

All of these work very well with the schroeder's assetts...