Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amping a cab with a combo quest.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TooL_051685, Jun 3, 2005.

1. TooL_051685

TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    i have a behringer ultrabass bx300 combo (the 30 watt one). I am ready to upgrade. Now its going to take a while for me to save enough for a new head and cab.(dont suggest used, i've thought it through, i want brand new gear, period)

So it makes sense to me to buy a cab first. if i bought the head 1st it would collect dust until i got a cabinet. but it seems if i get the cab, i can power it with the combo until i get a new head. the speaker in the combo can only handle about half volume. i figure with a different cab, I can leave it turned all the way up. The cabinets in paticular im looking at are the Ampeg BSE-410HLF 4x10 and the Ampeg SVT-410HE 4x10, and a Ampeg SVT-410HLF Enclosure.

First of all what are the difference in these cabs. I don't see any obvious difference in the specs and the price is $100 more for the svt-410hlf.
    second of all will these cabs work with the above mentioned combo. i dont know the ohm load of that behringer. the combo does have a preamp out on it

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    That wouldn't be a good idea, as running that low wattage into a cab meant to handle 200-400+ watts RMS(depending on what model you buy, obviously) would result in the speakers distorting from being underpowered. By doing this you run a high risk of tearing a speaker. Just try to hold out until you can afford both.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Don't do it. Pushing that little combo full volume will cause to clip, sending bad current into the speakers, damaging them. Also, you wouldn't notice much of a volume difference anyway most likely. A 30watt amp is not going to push a cab rated in the hundreds of watts.

Just to clarify. The HLF goes deeper than the HE.

4. TooL_051685

TooL_051685

Jan 19, 2005
    alright, thanks for the heads up guys. guess i'll have to hold off for a while. thanks

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You wouldn't happen to like and play tool would you?

Just a heads up, stay clear of Ampeg if you do :p