Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amping Vocals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jun 25, 2003.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    What's the cheapest way to amp vocals for practise and small gigs without using a house PA?
    We have 2 mics and Behringer 8 track mixer. We have been using an guitar old practise amp but it's rarely loud enoough. Thanks

2. I'd get a power amp like a QSC RMX 830 and a pr of decent floor monitors. You can use the monitors for your practice PA and for small gigs and you can also use them as floor monitors in the future as you add to your PA.

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What is the wattage of the current guitar amp you are using?
    Guitar amps typically don't do well for vocals especially low watt combos.
    Bass amps usually work better than guitar amps as they are designed to run cleaner signal with more dynamics.

Your best bet is to get a small PA - maybe a couple of speakers and a PA head.
    You might be able to find cheap used PA equipment on www.musicgoround.com or ebay.
    You may be able to find a used PA from another band in your area. Sometimes other bands have PA's they have outgrown. Just ask other musicians in your area if they know of anyone that might have a "spare" PA that they might be willing to sell.

4. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    the "cheapest" way is to do what i did. find a band that has a PA already. no money out of your pocket, and its not your responsibility to take it in for new speakers, or blown fuse etc;

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Get something like a JBL EON. It's PA speaker that doubles as a wedge and has it's own built in amplifier.

Or, Behringer have started making PA gear. I've used their wedges once and they were....well... passable ( watch for the hump at 4k) but the were extremely cheap apparently. I wonder if they've started making powered cabs? If the haven't it won't be long.......

6. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    yeah a powered speaker is probably the way i'll go is JBL the best then. Or is their anyhting cheaper i don't need high end just someting to hold me over at practise, it's not for performance or anything