Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplification dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bleachstained, Jul 8, 2001.

1. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    I am having problems with my amp. Let me tell you my story, I have a Randall Power amp that is supposed to deliver 140 watts at 8 ohms per side. Hooked up to that is a Crate 1x15. I don't feel that I am getting the right amount of power but I'm not sure if that is the amps problem. I have a squire p-bass that and a fender p-bass special. The squire sounds so much louder and I am not sure if I can make my fender active and if it would be worth it to boost the output of the bass. What should I do?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this does sound like it should be in Amps. I would guess you are only getting half of the 140 watts due to "ohms" - but the guys in the amps forum will be able to tell you for definite. When you say "power amp!" you've lost me already as I thought you couldn't just use one of these on its own?

But anyway, I mean if you are playing with 70 watts, then you are going to really struggle to be heard against a drummer, regardless of what bass you use.

3. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    No, it's not an ohm problem-my cab is rated to handle 200 watts at 8 ohms-the amp powers 140 @ 8 ohms.

4. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    Make sure the impedance on the head and the cabinet match. If your amp has an impedance of 8 ohms and the cabinet an impedance of 4 or 16 ohms you won't get the full output power.

Mike