Amplification dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bleachstained, Jul 8, 2001.

1. bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    I am having problems with my amp. Let me tell you my story, I have a Randall Power amp that is supposed to deliver 140 watts at 8 ohms per side. Hooked up to that is a Crate 1x15. I don't feel that I am getting the right amount of power but I'm not sure if that is the amps problem. I have a squire p-bass that and a fender p-bass special. The squire sounds so much louder and I am not sure if I can make my fender active and if it would be worth it to boost the output of the bass. What should I do?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this does sound like it should be in Amps. I would guess you are only getting half of the 140 watts due to "ohms" - but the guys in the amps forum will be able to tell you for definite. When you say "power amp!" you've lost me already as I thought you couldn't just use one of these on its own?

But anyway, I mean if you are playing with 70 watts, then you are going to really struggle to be heard against a drummer, regardless of what bass you use.
  3. bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    No, it's not an ohm problem-my cab is rated to handle 200 watts at 8 ohms-the amp powers 140 @ 8 ohms.
  4. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    Make sure the impedance on the head and the cabinet match. If your amp has an impedance of 8 ohms and the cabinet an impedance of 4 or 16 ohms you won't get the full output power.