1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amplification for 8-string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know there are few brave bassists venturing into 8- and 12-string territory, so have you got any ideas or experiences about amplifying 8-stringer(a doubled 4-string that is, not JT-esque monster)?

Assuming I would want separate clean low and distorted high amps like John Paul Jones has, what would be my options? I see three parts here: splitting the signal, EQing and distorting it, and finally amplifying it. If I was to go guitar amp route, I should EQ the bass off before it goes into the amp.

Someone around TB is using Tech21 BDDI for splitting the signal by inputting thru-signal into his bass amp and EQ'd and overdriven signal without lows into guitar amp, I believe. Now, this seems quite decent option, and if I were to go this route, would you think getting small bass combo or small guitar combo for distorted signal would be better?

I have my eyes currently on Behringer combos, one of which I would add to my existing bass rig. Their guitar combos have been getting good marks for their price and even the Ultrabass 1200-combo(Hartke Kickback clone) has been mentioned to be decent - they are inexpensive too. Certainly a bass combo would have more uses, as home amp, monitor etc, but would the guitar amp get me better tone with it's inbuild distortion etc?

I have no idea about this kind of stuff so please help me out :)

2. Tony -

a 12string has been on my wishlist for a long time (and will likely remain there for even longer). good place to start:

http://www.12stringbass.com/

hope that helps