Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplification for 8-string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know there are few brave bassists venturing into 8- and 12-string territory, so have you got any ideas or experiences about amplifying 8-stringer(a doubled 4-string that is, not JT-esque monster)?

Assuming I would want separate clean low and distorted high amps like John Paul Jones has, what would be my options? I see three parts here: splitting the signal, EQing and distorting it, and finally amplifying it. If I was to go guitar amp route, I should EQ the bass off before it goes into the amp.

Someone around TB is using Tech21 BDDI for splitting the signal by inputting thru-signal into his bass amp and EQ'd and overdriven signal without lows into guitar amp, I believe. Now, this seems quite decent option, and if I were to go this route, would you think getting small bass combo or small guitar combo for distorted signal would be better?

I have my eyes currently on Behringer combos, one of which I would add to my existing bass rig. Their guitar combos have been getting good marks for their price and even the Ultrabass 1200-combo(Hartke Kickback clone) has been mentioned to be decent - they are inexpensive too. Certainly a bass combo would have more uses, as home amp, monitor etc, but would the guitar amp get me better tone with it's inbuild distortion etc?

I have no idea about this kind of stuff so please help me out :)

2. Tony -

a 12string has been on my wishlist for a long time (and will likely remain there for even longer). good place to start:

http://www.12stringbass.com/

hope that helps