Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplification Power Ratings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jan 7, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    When you have an amp that is capable of operating in stereo and the power ratings that are given are 500 watts x 2 @ 4ohms for example, does that mean that if I run an 8 ohm cab per channel in stereo that I acheive a 4 ohm load? Or would the 4 ohms load occur only when I was was running two 8 ohm cabs per channel? Help me out please! I'm confused! :confused:

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    It means 4Ohms per channel, so you can hook up one 4Ohm cab or two 8Ohm cabs at each side. If you drive one 8Ohm cab per channel each cab would see approx. 300W (in your example).

Matthias

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Matthias!

4. For convenience, treat each of the 500W amps (into 4 Ohms) as though they were entirely separate.

You do not achieve a 4 Ohm load by running an 8 Ohm cab with each amp: you get 2 amps each operating into 8 Ohms.

If you parallel 2, 8 Ohm cabs you get 4 Ohms: if you connect one such 4 Ohm pair to each amp then you should be able to develop the full 500W per channel into it's rated 4 Ohms.

John

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    By George, I think that I've got it now!