Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplification recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liran, Jan 9, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've been looking to invest in some higher quality amplication, and was wondering what would be a rig that would be good for producing a nice warm bright and punchy sound? I dunno how much watts I should get. Enough to fill a club or concert hall. With all suggestions give me lots of details. Thanks!

2. Are we talking in a band with clean guitars and 15 watt amps? Or are we talking distorted 100 watt Marshalls? That makes a difference. And how about the drummer?

3. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Something good for a Jazz band setting and a hard rock band setting.

4. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Also something pretty compact and durable would be nice.

5. Look into Eden and SWR. I personally play Jazz and Hard Rock and prog. rock and all, so i know where you're coming from. I've been looking at these two pretty extensively for awhile now and i've decided upon Eden. I'm going to get myself an Eden WT-800 and most like an Eden D-410XLT, but possibly an XST instead. Eden is incredibly warm and gives a very natural sound. The SWR is more of a modern sound. I like both, and may in the future also purchase an SWR head or Preamp for more options. As far as portability goes, 410s are nice. I do a guy who had an SWR 2x10 and 1x18 with an SM-500, he loved it and it was real nice. Those are just some suggestions of course.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Euphonic Audio has been touting it's iAmp Combo as "the ultimate small combo." It's as compact as technology allows, weighing 55 or 60 lbs.

The recent review of it in Bass Player said it has some kind of rubbery poly coating that's tougher than anything else out there. They also stressed this is a serious gigging amp and tested it with a couple of bands. The head pushes 350W (1200 peak) through a 10" Kevlar-coated speaker.

But it is pricey.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here we go! Everybody, join in!

bmm bmm bmm bmm ...
    Eden Eden, bo-Beden,
    Bananapana fo-Feden,
    Fee fie mo-Meden,
    Eeeeeeeeden.

Metro, or go with SWR Super Redhead. There really are no other choices for what you seek, with the possible exception of a Gorm.