Amplification... what a great time to play bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KJung, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I was just playing my Thunderfunk550 through the Schroeder1210 and a big smile came to my face. Thinking about all the threads and posts recently, it's an amazing time to be an electric bassist:

Small, incredible sounding amp heads:

Acoustic Image Focus, etc.
    Walter Woods Ultra
    Eden550, etc.

Small, 'flat' cabs:

Incredibly light but powerful cabs....

EpifaniUL and other Neo cabs

Small, punchy, incredibly loud cabs....

The ability to make a TOTALLY custom cab for a reasonable amount of money...

Low Down Sound

And the ability to still buy new quality tube gear, etc. if you want to. Plus all the other good stuff out there.

If you would have told me 20 years ago that I could do a large, loud funk gig with a 7 pound amp and a cab that I could lift up to the stage with one hand... I just wouldn't have believed it. :hyper:
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ken, you know I agree with you!

And what about the fine instruments available!?! Sadowsky, MTD, Fodera, Alembic, Wal, Skjold, Stambaugh, Bennavente, Celinder, Ritter, Lakland, Zon, Read, Allen, the list goes on!!! And, you can still find some of them nice old Fenders, too! :D

We are living in the Golden Age, brothers and sisters!!! :D
  3. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, you think of all the great leaps forward we've had just over the last 5-10 years.....think of in another 20 years, all bass amps will weight no more that 20 lbs!! At the rate we're going, its very very possible. I'm sorry guys, did I just blow your mind?
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very true. I've been impressed with EA, Epifani, Schroeder... and there are a few more I haven't yet tried (Accugroove). But right now, Bergantino cabs make my ears happy as can be; got no interest in switching.

I've heard many many cool preamps and own a few. I guess my favorite is the Read Purity, but special props to the Ampeg SVP-Pro and SansAmp RBI because they sound great and are relatively inexpensive.

Finally: gotta love 2000 watts in a 17 pound box (Stewart and others).
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Gordon Moore, the founder of Intel, predicted 40 years ago that computers would increase in power and decrease in price at a rapid rate. I think something similar has been going on with music and audio gear, though maybe not as drastically as with computers.
  6. You nailed it, Ken. In my forty years of playing there has never been a better time to be a bassist then right now.
  7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Amen and thanks to all of the talented, dedicated luthiers and engineers pushing the frontiers of bassdom!

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's easy to hear from the "big boys". Not trying to be all mushy here, but thanks to internet communities like Talkbass for allowing us to hear from small builders and users of their gear. Some of the gear I've owned this decade has been from small builders who either sell direct only or have no dealerships even in my huge metropolitan area (Baltimore/Washington D.C.).

I'm grateful to all the Talkbass members who have shared their gear experiences with me via the forums, email, and PM (likewise, I've done my best to assist others). It's especially cool once you figure out which other members have similar tastes in gear and post balanced reviews of that gear.
  9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    man, talk bass is the donkey's boobies

i love it
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ken, I agree a 100% as I lug my db750 (it's a light SVT/ I keep telling myself :D ) to a practice with my 40 lb. one hand carry LDS Cab. When I'm done with my rig I'm going to have the biggest, baddest rig I ever had and my two cabs together won't weigh 95 lbs!
  11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Every gig I go to, I smile when I put down my computer bag and pull out my 450 watt, 16 lb Markbass Little Mark head, fondly remembering lifting a 300 watt, 90 lb head years ago.

Make me smile every time.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Even small builders today have tools like CAD software to help them develop their designs more efficiently and achieve more consistent quality.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    After recieving my Schroeder... I whole heartedly agree!
  14. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    After playing a ritter, i wish i had money.

But yes i do agree :) there is some awesome stuff being made right now.