Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplified Music Products SL-1..?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzmann23, Jan 4, 2003.

1. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Anyone own one of these? It looks like a great preamp and I'm sure they are relatively affordable to purchase ( If i can find one). It pleases me to know Steve Rabe was involved in making these, he makes good stuff. I think I saw someone on the forum who owns the AMP BH-420 head, any comments on the tone anyone?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have a BH-260 which is pretty close to the 420, just without some extra watts, adjustable crossover, and a parametric band.

i really like it. probably my favorite upright amp i've ever heard when paired with my avatar 112. with my fretless it sounds great too - plenty of mwah and growl, but on my fretted it seems to lack that "sparkle" that i get with my swr rack. i would say it's about as warm as a full solid state amp gets, with lots of mids but not really a modern or hi-fi sound.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The SL-1 is a very nice preamp. I haven't tried one since they were new, back in the 80's.

I own a BH-420. Best amp I've ever owned. IME the amp can have a very modern sound or a very smooth sound, depending on how you use it. I regularly go from a modern slap sound to a punchy fingerstyle to a deep sound just by making playing adjustments at the bass or switching the pickups.

I've seen people run into problems with this and in most cases it comes down to how they EQ and how they use their power section, along with technique.

I've used my BH-420 with the EQ set flat for pretty much every gig I've used it on for over ten years, with a wide variety of basses. Here's what I do:

Turn it up.

I know... sounds too simple;)

Most people EQ their amps at low volume. The problem is, at low volume you'll probably have to overcompensate for lows and highs you're not hearing. Take those same settings on a gig and at gig levels you'll usually end up with exaggerated highs or lows at gig volume. If you just turn the amp up instead and use your hands to control your volume, you'll have loads more headroom to play with, more than likely a fuller sound and usually an abundance of highs. You should hear my 78 Ash Jazz coming through this amp. Marcus Miller tone with no tweaks. With active basses, sometimes a touch of treble boost goes a long way.

Another issue can be where you have the instrument's volume set. I run my basses wide open because I have noticed an openness of sound when wide open that can be missing when the volume is turned down, even slightly.

The other person involved with AMP is Russ Alee. At this point I'm not sure who designed the actual preamp