Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amplified or not?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by moped10, Apr 15, 2003.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm a returning DB player after a 10 year stint of playing EB, guitar, and keys in various rock groups-
    (I played DB in college orchestra)- I assumed I would have to get a pickup/amp setup to be heard
    in my Hawaiian jazz group and trio- But I've worked up my right hand technique and my bass doesn't seem to have any volume problems (my neighbor across the street can hear me inside my house)- I practiced with the Hawaiian combo Sunday; (vocals, lapsteel, brush drums/percussion, ukelele, and acoustic guitar) and had a blast with no amp- I could hear plenty well enough to police my intonation (my muscle memory is still building) and all the guys in the band thought it sounded great-
    So many folks on this forum seem to have "rigs", but I'd rather save my $ up for better strings than the Super-mediocre-nils I'm dealing with now- Can't I just stick a mike on it if I'm at a loud club?
    How about even avoiding that and just building up
    a good enough technique to play anywhere? Any suggestions or enlightening experiences out there?

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If it works and you can be heard, no reason to have a pup. On the other hand, why not still consider buying a pickup/preamp so that if you guys do play some big place where there is a big PA you can just plug right in with no amp? Or a decent mic...not to use all the time, but to have when/if needed.

3. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the suggestion- I see your point about the bigger venue-

4. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Sens are great mikes- The last one I had I traded for a Fender EB- Now that I'm back to DB, I wish I'd kept it! Thanks for the sugg

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I can't recall ever seeing any Hawaiian bassists using a pickup or amp. The sound most of them go for is big and boomy, almost like a bluegrass sound. The mic into the PA, or no amplification at all, is probably more like the sound you want.

6. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks Marcus, that's probably why it sounded so appropriate at practice- I do do alot of walking though during the steel solos, just to swing it a bit, but I'm pulling pretty hard even during the walking-
    I'll get a good mike but only use it when we play arenas- :)