1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

amplifier chips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kearney, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. kearney


    Jul 5, 2004
    so i got this amp, its gotta lotta power, got two amplifiers but one sides broken, where do i get a new amplifier chip from?

    PS, could someone please tell me more about my amp? its a kustom
  2. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Reminds me of MST 3000 when Crow and Tom Servo (and maybe Gypsy) were eating RAM chips. What kind of chips do you want?
  3. kearney


    Jul 5, 2004
    old bay crab chips!!!

    but i need an "amplifier chip" (what my dad said)
  4. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If that tiny custom has "gotta lotta power", I'm sitting on nuclear arsenal and am going to die shortly from leukemia from all the radiation exposure. ;)

    Odds are, you aren't going to be able to find OEM parts for that old Kustom. It can't hurt to take it in to a tech to see if "off the shelf" components are all that are needed, but my guess is that it would be cheaper to buy a new practice combo at your local music store.
  5. There is not really anything called an "amplifier chip".
    There are Op-Amp chips of which there are literally thousands of different types. Those are most often located in the Pre-Amp section of an amplifier.
    In the power amp section of a solid state amp are either matched sets of Power Transistors or matched sets of Power Mosfets.
    There are also thousands of options for these.
    Next to impossible to tell without looking at the circuit board what is wrong, and what needs to be replaced.
    Take it to a good solid state amp tech.

  6. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, the first step is to get a schematic for your amp. You can probably find one by searching Google with "Kustom" and the model number. If one isn't available for free on the internet, send (e)mail to the Kustom company and they'll send you one. There are definitely "chips" in (some) amps, but that may or may not be the problem. You'll have to troubleshoot the amp to find out what's wrong with it, and the schematic will be your best friend while you're doing that. Troubleshooting is best done by a competent tech (it's tedious, time consuming, and maybe even dangeous, since there are high voltages inside the amp, even in many cases long after the amp was last turned off - like "years" sometimes), unless you have lots of electronics experience and plenty of free time. :)
  7. I think that you are forgetting the domestic electronics market. There are many amplifier chips ranging from 5 watts per channel for portable radios, through to 30 or 50 watts each for budget HiFi systems.
    Depending on the power output, it is quite possible that an amp might have one or two of the common workhorse amplifier chips in it.

    You say that you dad says you need a new amplifier chip, and you say that the amp works with one side down. Have you been down the road of swapping speakers and amplifiers round to check that it is not a faulty speaker?
    If so, I suggest that you leave it switched off and disconnected from the wall socket overnight. Next morning, work out which screws you need to take off to slide out the tray which holds the electronics. Look for the power devices - the ones bolted to bits of metal to keep them cool. If you find one with four wires, it is probably part of the power supply. If there are pairs of them, with three wires each, you are looking at transistors or MOSFETs, as oneway punk said. If they have 5 wires or more, they are probably amplifier chips. Get the part number from them and Google it.
  8. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i highly doubt that amp is using chips for amplification.
  9. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I still think RAM chips are the way to go.
  10. I'm partial to Ripple chips.
  11. Squidfinger

    Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

    Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm a 3rd year electronics student. The bottom line is you're gonna have get somebody to work on it. There's nothing wrong with amateurs messing with guitar elex but I always heavily recommend against messing with the amps. They can hold a charge for days (maybe even weeks) after being unplugged. VERY dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
  12. True...if you accidentally discharge a capacitor (via your body), it could kill you, or leave a nasty burn.

    Saying an amp needs "an amp chip" is really just layman speak that kinda really means absolutely nothing. There is no plain jane amp chip.

    Seeing as it's such an old amp, the circuit itself is prolly pretty easy, but on a component level, pretty hard to service, as said, due to part availablity. Sure you could replace an op amp or a diode or cap or resistor with a similar value to get the job done, but it could end up not being as inherently stable and prone to failure, i it works at all.

    Like has been said tenfold, you're gonna have to pay for someone to fix it.
  13. nevermind