Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplifier EQ settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G5L1C3, Dec 4, 2003.

1. G5L1C3

G5L1C3

Mar 11, 2003
    Well i havent really seen a thread like sthi so:

What EQ settings do you like to do with your different techniques. Im just expermenting around to get the best Slap tones, poping tones, and plucking tones. Im interested in what other people like to use...or what generally sounds better for a certain technique.

ME

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I like the smile way.

3. Generally I keep the EQ flat. (My preamp is, in fact, a little Yamaha mix console). I find there's usually more than enough tone variation on the bass' own controls. I have a Yamaha active 5er and a Yamaha passive fretless 4. Sometimes I'll up the middle on the console a touch for the fretless but, even then, the bass' own controls offer me more than enough EQ.

John

4. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I like my eq flat as well. I find that it works well for just about anything. If I want to make any adjustments I can usually dial in any tone from my bass (of course it's an old Ken Smith Burner).

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, I like flat. Generally I only change the eq to suit room characteristics.

6. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I am a smile guy, I feel that I get the full range of the instrument with the smile.

7. Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain the "smile?"

8. The W or frowny face for me... I love being heard!!!!!!!!! Grind those mids

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The "smile" is your lows and highs boosted, mids cut. Sounds great solo, but usually doesn't cut in a band setting.

I generally play with my EQ set flat. If anything, I will boost the low mids(250hz), and roll off a bit of 800. The low mids cut well, and rolling off 800 gives you a smoother fingerstyle tone.

10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if your settings are contrary to your guitarits, a smiley setting will work.

If the guitarist takes up the mids and ups the distortion level, that leaves the bass player room to take up the lows and highs. This makes for a kickin heavy metal sound (ie, Mudvayne). Makes the guitarist sound like crap alone, but in the mix it makes the band sound rippin'.

11. normally used to be a touch bass
    cut mid slightly and treble left untouched
    now i use a sansamp bdii and prefer the hot tube or svt setting
    i vary my volume at the sansamp but leave the tone settings..:)