Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplifier for VL-108 &VL-110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Good day all,

I have a question for all you here. I am mainly looking for people who have played EA cabs, or other similar cabs. I have a VL-110, and I am getting a VL-108 next week.

My question is, what amount of power would you suggest an amp should produce in order to properly drive these cabinets? Together, they are 4 ohms and handle 450w. I was thinking that 500 watts would probably be about right. I am considering the EA iAmps, the 350 and the 800, but the 350 produces 350w at 4 ohms and the 800 produces 800 at 4 ohms.

I imagine it would be better to overpower than underpower these speakers, but I look forward to your insights.

Geoff

2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    This may be apples to oranges, but if your cabs are anything like my 500W VL210, together they can handle 800 to 1000W. I bridge an Eden WT800 into my 8 ohm VL210 (and sleep with one eye on the clip indicator). BTW, nice Dingwall! Wish they'd hurry up and finish their website constuction.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I ran two VL-110 cabs with a 600+ w Hughes & Kettner amp with pretty good results.

4. What kind of music will you be using these for?
    I used my iAMP600 to drive my VL110 and 208. It was at its limit when I played with my old funk band. For jazz and pop stuff it would do fine.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Jeff!

These cabinets aren't particularly efficient as you probably know, so you need more wattage to drive them. The VL108 is rated at 200 watts RMS. I would put at least 350 watts into it to get a loud and clean tone. Maybe what you need is a pre-amp power amp setup. You could go for one of the 1 space Stewart 1.2 power amps. They weigh nothing, and put out around 1000 watts. The iAMP 800 would be a killer head to run the 2 cabs with if you wanted to go that route.

Basically, put at least 150 watts more into the cabs than they are rated, and they should perform great.:)

6. AJ,
    I was thinking of getting the Raven Labs USIP and getting a power amp to go with it. I am talking to Dave at Club Bass to see what he suggests as he has a lot of experience with the EA gear.

Geoff