Amplifier getting too warm in case...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kdogg, Jan 17, 2006.

1. kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Alright, here's the story. I've got an ampeg svt4-pro head that I recently placed in an skb 6 space rack. Previously, I simply carried my svt around loose, and would place the amplifier atop my speaker stack. The svt4-pro has the coolong vents on its sides, just a small vent at the back. When I didn't have the amplifier racked, it never even got warm. Obviously, the airflow was good out in the open. Now that its racked, and the airflow obstructed by being in a case, the amplifier heats up considerably more. Should I be worried? Do they make a case with removable sides?
  2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Well, it depends on how hot is "hot". If it's just warm to the touch, no problem. If it gets painful, then there is a problem. Does the SVT have an internal fan? If so, is it working, and what is the airflow - side to side, or front and out the sides or ???. The easiest solution may just be to put a small 120V computer fan in the back of the rack to keep the air in it moving . . . . . I think a rack with no sides would lose so much structure that it would not be usable.

For that matter, if you play it HARD and it just gets a bit warm to the touch, then you probably have no problems. If you get a thermal shutdown, then you know for a fact you have an issue.

- Tim
  3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    ... Cut some holes in the side of the case... put an air filter on it, and you've BETTERED the quality of air going to the amp, not compromised on looks, and have added airflow. 3 birds with one stone.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Both good suggestions so far. I done both and had good results. I took to an SKB rack with a drill and put as many holes as in the side as I could without ruining it's functionality. It gave it a grill-like look on th sided and allowed the hot air to escape away from the amp.

The fan idea works so well, my SS amp can't get hot if it tries. I don't know if that's a good thing with a tube amp. Anyone?
  5. bassman_2_1

Dec 31, 2005
    KDOGG i have an ampeg svt4, proir to this i was looking at posts on the ampeg website, and alot of bass players where complaining about the fans being on the side, if you buy the ampeg rack case this come with holes on the side for the air to travell trough. I wanted one mailinly to make my amp look a bit cool in the manufacturing case, but i couldnt find any1 that would ship one to me :( ... instead i emailed a online company called Thomann (in germany), on there web site they said they could custom make one for me. i got my case in a 6u size with 2u at the bottom with adam hall vent grills on the sides, not only was it great quality they only charged me 10 euros extra, the case worked out at 165 euros or £100(or something like that), previous to this i went to a company called Adlib audio who do the sound for the like of david bowie!!! they said the cheapest they could do me a case with this custom job would be £200++!!!! he also told me that he did the same job on one of his cases for the scissor sisters for the same amp!!!