Amplifier muddyness problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by infamas, Jul 30, 2005.

1. infamas

Jun 13, 2005
    I have an ampeg BA-115. I have to say, I thought it was a great amp, but I was disapointed. It didnt seem to sound good at all. I took it to the music store today, and plugged it into my new bass (g&l tribute L2000, which I LOVVVEEE, but thats a different story) and my amp sounded crystal clear, even at max volume. I bring the amp back home and it sounds like crap again. What do I dooo? I guessed that maybe the power coming into my house is bad or something, because wherever i plug in the amp, it sounds like a wet fart. Help would be much appreciated.
  2. Cut some lows or leave them flat, boost some mids and highs.
  3. I've had similar feelings and experiences with my SWR Workingman's stack. What kind of room do you play in at your house? My room is on the second floor and is cluttered with all kinds of cabinetry and stuff that rattles and shakes. Chances are whatever room you play in wasn't designed with a loud bass amp in mind. My music store, and most likely yours, was however, so amps, even when cranked, don't really disturb the solid concrete floor and padded paneling on the walls, etc. If you can, take your amp somewhere else in your house, like your basement, or even outside, where there's no stuff to mess with the sound, and see how it sounds. If there is something wrong with the electrical outlet your using, I wouldn't expect it to make the tone muddy at all.
  4. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Did you use the same patch cord? Try swapping cords at home and see what happens.
  5. infamas

Jun 13, 2005
    its not an acoustics problem, it happens all over my house. I know its not acoustics because the amp itself is making the muddy, fart sound. I told the guy at the store and he gave me a cord he thought was fanastic and it still happens... I dont know what to do.
  6. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Try the amp at someone else's house and see what happens. This sounds odd. Keep us posted on what happens.
  7. It's possible that the voltage into the house is waaay lower than it should be...a couple of things could cause that, but they're power company issues (incoming wiring issues, or tapped too low at the power company's transformer).

However, it's far more likely that this is due to the absorption and reflection of the sound waves inside the house, even in different rooms. Carpet and draperies absorb sound, sheetrock is very reflective, wood and tile floors are reflective...makes for a mess, sound-wise. I hate mixing sound for private parties inside houses.
  8. that's pretty funny....last night i took my amp to a gig at some shack that had the most horrible reverb, but because not a lot was really vibrating i was able to hear my bass so clear i thought i had the tone knob rolled forward, where as in my basement it rattles everything like crazy......this gig was CLEAR!!
  9. If its muddy, rinse it off with a hose and fresh water. No. I'm kidding.

Every room is different, and for bass frequencies, the room is actually part of the speaker that it contains. Room acoustics plays a much larger part of bass reproduction than higher freqs due to the room size being closer to the wavelength of bass freqs. Longer wavelengths also mean zones are larger , more noticeable where cancellations or reinforcement at certain freqs occur.

10. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    NO AMP sounds crystal clear at max volume.

You have an acoustics issue at your house and it's inside your brain messing with you.

There's nothing wrong with the electricity at you house. If you where having THOSE kinds of problems...your computer which is far more sensitive to voltage issues...would not be functioning.

If it sounds good in the music store...and you bring it home and use the same eq settings....what has changed? The listening environment. Either the store has better acoustics, or the EQ is better set for that room. much larger is that music store than the room you normally listen in? Don't think that doesn't matter...
  11. infamas

Jun 13, 2005
    For the last time, its not acoustics related. I know when things rattle and shake. This farting is coming from the amp itself, at less than reasonable volumes. I think it may be polarity of the plug socket, but my amp doesnt have a polarity switch...Anyone know where i can get a polarity changer.
  12. The polarity of the plug socket?

First, the electric code requires all outlets to be wired one way, and your amp plug is wired to match the electric code. Second, let's say you get one of those little 3 prong to 2 prong adaptors. Plug it in one way. Then plug it in the other way. The sound coming out the speaker won't change, because your amp takes the AC signal coming in and converts it to DC+ and DC- voltages. The wall polarity at that point is completely irrelevant.

If your speaker is "farting" turn the EQ knob down on the amp--the one that says "bass"....
  13. If it sounds good at the music store, and not at home, its got to be either the acoustics or the power. As Nashville Bill pointed out, polarity is irrelevant for AC power. I think those polarity switches were for grounding the amps back in the old days with 2 prong plugs that could go in the wrong way. Making sure you could guarantee the chassis was connected to ground rather than hot.

If there was a voltage problem at your house you'd have dimmed lights, burned out refrigerator motors, etc. Unless you're stationed in Iraq, the power is very unlikely to be the culprit.

Most likely something is rattling at the house, dishes, windows, etc, making what sounds like certain notes to fart out. Put the amp on your bed, that'll decouple it from the floor, help stop the assorted stufff in the house from rattling.

Once you find out what's rattling like maybe china, you glue the china to the cabinet to prevent it from rattling in the future, you should be all set.

Are you on hardwood floor at home? Maybe the amp feet aren't all touching solid, and are vibrating? Floorboards? Put some carpet under the amp, try again....

14. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Have you tried another bass?

Have you changed your strings recently?
  15. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Dude...I've held a Florida state master electricians license since 1985.Look elsewhere for the problem.
  16. If you wall plug is worn out you can get low voltage. Also if your circuit breaker is wornout. You need a voltmeter to check the voltage at the plug before you turn on the amp then measure it after you turn on the amp. The reading should be between 110 and 125 volts AC. Using a Hairdryer at that plug and measuring would work well as it pulls about 5 or more amps typically on High Heat.
  17. Rumple

May 12, 2005
    The throw from that cab is probly really far. The bass is probly getting tossed around and echoing in the room. I have a mesa 400+ 4-10 and 15, and with this In a practice room its really hard to get a nice undisturbed sound. Also I have noticed that sometimes with all the other band members plucking and bashing away It seems funky sometimes. But in big rooms I sound a lot better but I still cannot hear my true tone, but everybody in the crowd can casue thats were the sound truly develops. Thats why a good monitor is great. So in small rooms more mid roll back bass and dont crank the volume as much.
  18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes, it is. How large is the room you're using at home? How high the ceilings? How do they compare to the dimensions of those at the music store? Other posters have hit the nail squarely on the head. The response of any bass amp is determined as much by the environment as by any other factor. If your amp sounds different when used in different environments it is the environment responsible for the difference. It is not the power. If the power was so bad that your amp wouldn't work properly neither would any other electrical appliance in your home, and we wouldn't know about your problems because your computer wouldn't work either.
  19. They always tell you after a power failure or during brownout (low voltage) to unplug refrigerator. When power comes on, all the motors starting is a really high load, the voltage drops as a result. Refrigerator motors with low voltage pull more current to produce the same horsepower, and the high current burns out the motor relatively quickly.

So check your refrigerator. If it works, your power is not the problem with your amp.

Sounds like a bad Monty Python sketch, but its true.

20. infamas

Jun 13, 2005
    I dont get how polarity isnt an issue if certain amps come with polarity switches.

Is the polarity these swtiches change the same as the polarity of the plugs in my wall?

Not to mention the sound coming out of my amp is very very similar to when i accidently mixed speaker wires in my car...