Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amplifier Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J. Oxley, Jan 2, 2006.

1. J. Oxley

J. Oxley

Nov 22, 2004
    Australia
    Hey, recently i have been looking at the Laney R4 combo on the internet. Its a 300w, 15" combo. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? Im worried i wont have enough clarity only having a 15".
    I own a 75W Ashton amp now, but it cant even handle a rehearsal, although we do play far too loud. Could anyone suggest an amplifier suited to medium sized pub gigs, mostly rock? Im guessing about 300-400W? I dont know if i want a combo or a head/cabinet configuration. About $1200 AUD is the most i can afford on my pizza boy salary. Behringer is very tempting but i hear theyre absolute crap when it comes to reliability.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most anything loaded w/ 10" speakers and at least 400 watts should serve your needs.

with that said, i REALLY like ashdown for the money. the MAG series is a nice deal.

3. ashdown, they're really great and cheap too. my electric blue 180 watt combo is on its way and i'm frikin stoked about it. try lookin for one of the MAG series, i've herad those are great values too

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    My limited experience with laney would be that they aren't very good sounding amps.
    Maybe have a look at peavey or gallien krueger stuff.

If your going along the 300-400 watt head I'd recommend getting the full stack instead of just one speaker cabinet.

Either that or else buy an 8 ohm cab and leave the option open to add another.

If you go with the combo option try get something that will allow an extension cabinet to be added.

The great thing about getting a head is that you can upgrade piece by piece. So if you get a head and speaker now then you can buy another cabinet later on. Then you can upgrade another cab or move to a different head if you so wish. I think the head route is better personally, especially if you buy budget gear which you might not be happy with in time to come. Not to say that people aren't happy with their behringers or hartke equipment. You'll find people here who will swear by theirs.

Just checked out some prices on guitar.com.au and they seem even more expensive than here! Which I didn't think possible anyways check out what you can get your hands on second hand.

5. J. Oxley

J. Oxley

Nov 22, 2004
    Australia
    I've never owned a quad box before, I guess the mids and highs would be great, but how do they go in the way of low end, i've never really heard one before. Would it still sound decent if i only use a quad or would it be lacking in bottom end. I dont really have enough money to get a 410 (or 210), 115 and a head, so i guess one of them could wait.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If you get a ported 410, you have absolutly no problem w/ lows. Even my ported 210 handles lows just fine. A sealed cab may be different.

7. 15's should be fine. Just demo out the combo before you buy, if possible. I run a pair of 1x15's myself - no problems there, all the clarity i need - but i spose it will depend a little on your style.

I know Trace Elliot and Peavey do a few fine combo's using 12's and 15's for that approximate power range - but price - you may be lucky 2nd hand.
    Personally - I'd save up another $500 and buy (2nd hand) a decent sounding cab and head.