amplifier tone with a DI box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Jan 20, 2003.

1. terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    How can i send the ampeg svt-cl tone through a DI box to the mixer? Every suggest is ok for me:)
    thank you
  2. An inexpensive solution would be a DI box that connects to your amps speaker 1/4" output.

A Behringer DI-100 ($30) might do the trick.
    With Direct Connection of amplifier outputs with up to 3,000 Watts, you'll transfer your power amp tube response to the board.

3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Whoa there, I'm certainly no expert, but I'm pretty sure that you shouldn't send an amplified signal to a DI. They're not designed to handle a signal that hot. And the signal being received at the desk would be way too strong to work with. Your sound guy would have to pad the desk, turn the gain right down to zero, and it would probably still be clipping, so he'd remove you from the mix altogether to protect his PA.

I appreciate your delima here, but there's not an easy solution. If your amp had it's own DI output, and a switch that allowed you to send the signal post-preamp, you night have a chance.

Can one of the amp guru's jump in and correct me if I'm wrong please.
  4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Im far from an amp guru but I do know that some di boxes are capable of handling the speaker load and padding the signal down to board levels. Now I dont know if the above is one of them but I have seen some.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I own one of the above DI's and it has 2 pads of 20db each. 40db is indeed a lot of padding - it might just work. Though I would never have thought to use it after the amp.
  6. My Countryman DI is selectable between either instrument input or speaker input. Instructions indicate that speaker mode pads at -48db. Also states that it will distort at the equivalent of 1,700 watts at 8 ohms.
  7. A lot of DIs have speaker/instrument level switches. That one can take speaker levels when it's in the -40dB setting. If you're using it with a tube amp, make sure you actually have a speaker attached as well, because a tube amp would likely destroy its power section faced with a high impedence like that (250k Ohm input impedence). No worries if there's a speaker hooked up though. 250k impedence in parallel with the speaker will only change the impedence the amp sees very slightly.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There ya go, that's one more thing I've learned from this forum.

Just one thing to keep in mind. If you run it this way, you'll be changing the strength of the DI signal every time you touch your volume control. There's one way to keep the sound guy on his toes.

Hey maybe this is why you see some bass rigs with both a DI (catching the bass sound) and a Mic (catching the amp sound). You'd probably need a special mic though.
  9. It's for sure I don't have the balls to try it with my old SVT.

Besides, to me the DI makes sense for "just" the bass signal. If I want to get the sound of my SVT I need a mic. "The sound" of my SVT ultimately comes out of the speaker cabinet and not the head. Right?
  10. True enough. This is what I do if I'm playing or if the guy I'm mixing has a decent rig. I was just saying that you *could* do that if you wanted to.:D

There wouldn't be any problems doing that as long as you had a speaker hooked up. What I'd do would be connect my cab as usual and run the DI off the parallel out on the cab.
    Here's the math which shows that it's ok using a 4 ohm speaker:

R total= R1*R2 /R1+R2
    =4*250000/4 + 250000

The difference off 4 ohms is negligeable.:p
    I am a nerd.
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah but you're a GOOD nerd coz you know what they're talking about! :)
  12. Uh...could you like, uh...come up with some sort of Winning Powerball Lottery Number Formula...or somethin'.

Don't post though....PM me. ;)
  13. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    My suggestion is to check out the sansamp bddi.