Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by only4him012, Dec 19, 2002.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    so.....combos are litmited.....small watts....and if you want more of that you get cabinets? help...~

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    There are combo's that make 500 watts; it's not really a power deal.

A combo has preamp, power amp, and speaker cabinet, all in one assembly. This makes it easy to carry although usually at the expense of the best possible speaker cabinet design.

If you buy individual pieces, you get more control, but sometimes a combo is all you need.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, i don't like combos simply due to lack of flexibility and upgrade
    also, power amp ratings can be deceptive, a 400 watt amp may be able to produce 400 watts at 1 k, but few integrated heads will produce 400 watts at 40 or 30 hz w/o clipping
    my story in the past few years is that i got an eden traveller plus (400 watts), and used 210 and 410 cabinets
    i since replaced the big cabinets with 112s, and got a stewart 2.1 power amp and alenbic and demeter preamps.
    i still have the eden for smaller gigs
    cool thing is that with the extra power (and no clipping) i can get almost the same volume out of 2 12 cabs than i used to with 6 10s
    if i had a combo i could not have made the changes over tims and i would no longer have access to the cool eden sound
    (not to mention that many times i have gotten away with only bringing my head/rack and used speakers available at the venue............bass sounds damn cool going through an extra pa cab)

4. Well, I'm kind of the opposite. After years of lugging around a head and various 4 X 10" and 1 X 15" or 1 X 18" cabinets, I got a good, high powered combo (Ampeg B248...200 Watts into the 4 8" speakers and 350 Watts with my Sonic compact 1 X 15", JBL loaded extension cabinet). Sometimes I run direct to the PA and sometimes not, depending on the club. I never have a problem being heard. I feel that I have just as much flexibility with this rig as I ever had with a big stack. By the way, if I had the money and needed the power (currently, I have neither the money nor the need ) I could get the "Eden sound" with their Metro combo.

5. A combo is like the all in one stereo. CD/cassette/radio/speakers all in one package. There are some really decent sounding combos out there today, much better than in days gone buy. If you are into playing really loud or you are real picky about your tone though, better buy seperates. You can update your pre-amp/power-amp and still use your existing speakers.