Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amplifying the great outdoors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, May 15, 2003.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ok, this saturday i have an outdoor gig at a cancer benefit festival. there is mainly a walk a thon going on around a track with booths and food vendors and a bunch of things, i still dont know the actaul size of the place.

the stage is supposidly a trailer set up as a stage and no pa support is provided (there will be a few bands that bring theirs but nothing is planned, we are bringing our own) im not sure what power ours i, but te speakers are crate 12s or 15s with a 8? midrange and horn?. im not sure bt its not very powerful, made just for vocals. most likely we will be self projected (i dont know the correct term)

my question: will an ampeg 8x10 be sufficient to project outdoors? its sealed so i dont know if it will "move air"

should i maybe rent a second cab for some louder bass? any suggestions?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It should work fine. The SVT bottom projects quite well in large spaces.

3. Don't think so. To get enough muscle out doors or in large indoor venues I slaved a Sunn Coleseum 300 driving a Sunn 215 folded horn off my SVT. The SVT and 810 cab alone just didn't have the ooomph.

4. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    yea, thats what i thought. my dummer says it will be ok, i will be using a 1x15 cab as well but mainly for the drummers monitor. i guess ill just have to wait and see.

5. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    well i will have my carvin R1000 bridged into the 8x10, while an ampeg V-9 SVT will drive my 15 and maybe a 1x12, boith for monitors

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Assuming you have about a 250+ watt head, you'll do fine. The Ampeg 810 projects very well outdoors and it's reasonably efficient. You won't have any serious PA support, per your description, so your amp is on its own.
    I've done many of these gigs in the past and have always underestimated the 'thowing power' of my rig. I would say that your limiting factor most likely, will be your PA.

Kim

7. Oh yeah. something big and wide. In my experiances, all bass just evaporates outdoors. Sometimes i ended up playing harder w/o realizing it to compensate...ouch.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Better make that 1,000 for outdoors.

9. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i think that's the first post from munji i've seen that doesn't have to do with eden.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    He of course meant a 1000w Eden amp with Eden cabs, that goes without saying.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes. What's your point?

12. You should be able to get a kilowatt poweramp for a reasonable price. The hire shop round the corner from me does a kilowatt amplification package for about $130 a night, cabs and monitors are 20 bucks each.

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Just stating the glaringly obvius for thelastofus, he seemed to miss it.

14. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    well i just got back from the show.

it worked fine. i actually didnt know but there was an arena type roof, no walls, just a big "gazebo" type place. it could hold about 15,000, but there was only 200- people. there were tens and booths set up, and there were raffkles and other little contests.

i uised my R1000 (350 watts a side) one side into the 8x10, plus another into my carvin RL115 as a monitor for the drummer and guitarist on the whole other side of the stage.

i had the singer play my bass while everyone else played their instruments, while i walked around and adjusted their volume.

the power amps was happy at about 5 for the 8x10 and 3.5 for the 15 with the master volume at 5. this worked perfectly and i heard no complaints about the sound. i think the roof of the place helped out a lot though so it wasnt really playing "outside"

but thanks for the tips.

maybe keep this thread open for others with similar situations and questions.