1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amplug 2 Bass vs Pandora PX3B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrdisco01, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone! This is my first thread of surely many to come.

I'm pretty good jazz pianist transitioning over to bass guitar right now. And when I say transitioning I mean that I think I'm turning bass guitar into my main instrument.

Anyway I've borrowed a friends Godin Freeway 4 for awhile. I don't really like this bass in particular and I want to replace it with my own first bass soon but it's an ok instrument.

The thing I'm really dying after close to a month of playing is a way to hear myself. I have pretty good headphone and I want something to use those. I live in an appartement and it's my prefered way to practice anyway because it's more intimate, and I can practice later, etc. The two options I have right now are a Vox Amplug 2 Bass for 55$+tx new or this Korg Pandora PX3B in local CL for 50$ total. Which one would you get? I think I couldn't care less for the effects in the Pandora since they're probably not so good and the styles I play don't rely on effects anyway. I mainly care for the sound quality but I can't really guess as I've never used any of them and the products are pretty different in price new, purpose, design, year of release and everything. Can anyone speak with experience on both of them? Thanks a ton. Looking forward to some more conversations here.

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I've never used either, but since you're new to the bass world I thought I would offer you an alternative to consider that might help you as move downstream. There are some pre-amp pedals/boxes and small class D heads (e.g. GK MB200) that have headphone capability for private practice and also offer you a nice piece of gear to use as a primary or a back-up asset for live performance. Even buying used you will spend a bit more, but it gives you something that can be of value as you start to look into live performance equipment. I hope that helps!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  3. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    The Korg is a nice piece of kit. With decent headphones you will be able to dial in exactly the tone that makes you happy. I have had a px4b for a bunch of years and still use it.

4. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I have the AmPlug Bass (first version) and it works very good. Sound will be as good as the bass that it is plugged into. With some decent JVC cans (not buds) and my iPod plugged in, I can practice anytime, anywhere even walking down the street! For $55 it's a good bargain and from what I've heard, the new version has even better sound as well as some drum tracks built in. :)

5. tonym

tonym

Apr 12, 2011
    The Korg is a really great little piece of equipment. Lots of built in rhythms to practice along with, and it can do short samples for when you're trying to learn particular phrases. I've owned a number of these things and it's the one I always go back to. I bought a newer version but actually like the 3b the best.

6. Great replies! It seems I can't go wrong with both of these. But nobody seems to be able to compare them yet? I hate to be that person, but I wont buy both!

And Al Kraft I'm with you on this and I did look for a unit like the SCR-DI, 3Leaf Enabler or GK-Plex, but I can't find them used and they all amount to 5 times what I would pay for the Vox or Korg... I need to save up for my real 'first' bass so I will consider the preamps as the next upgrade I will look forward to after that.

Al Kraft likes this.