1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps and cabs just looking for my sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rebel Rocker, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm blessed to have gear. Just looking for a sound.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I think you need to quit.

lz4005, btmpancake and Sid Fang like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you can't find a good and usable sound with that stuff, I'm sorry but I'm not going to blame the gear. All tone is a compromise between what you want ideally and what works best for the music you're playing.

4. Maybe a new bass or at least some different pickups is in order.

gregmon79, CNYlowEND and Rebel Rocker like this.
  5. +1 on the new bass, but you could also try the old faithful, Ampeg SVT tube amp with the matching fridge cabinet. There's a reason they're the most widely used.

6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Most of your sound is in your fingers, IMHO. Then comes your strings, then your pickups, then your cab, and lastly your amp. I appreciate the full-range clarity and power of my EBS rig, but I still sound like me (which may or may not be a *good* thing) playing through a Fender Rumble patched into an old 810 in a bar's backline.

El Apestoso likes this.
  7. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    When I see pictures like this, I always wonder how I can convince my significant other to let me have a room like that....

SJan3 and floridagatorfan like this.
  8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I’ve actually become less picky lately. I took my old carvin 15 cab that I remember kind of sucking to our practice space (so I didn’t have to move other stuff all the time). Plugged in a head, twiddled a couple knobs and it was fine, particularly with a drummer

9. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The Aggie Tone Hammer is not a plug and play amp, IMO. You need to twirl some knobs and get a feel for how the gain, drive, and mid controls interact with each other on the amp. What settings are you using?

Al Kraft, Gearhead17 and smogg like this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You've edited your post but looking at the list in post #2, I would keep the basses and amp and upgrade the cabs.

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    What gear?

12. What 'sound" are you looking for?

smogg likes this.
  13. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Need something with a little more bottom. Thinking maybe some 15s

14. hmm. Now we're getting into an area that could turn this thread into 246 pages. There's a lot of cabs out there that will give you more bottom end.
    Ranging from back-breaking monsters to much more lightweight and portable.

10's and 12's can give you tons of bottom end, many as good or better than 15's. Depends on specs and how they're configured.

Many threads here on comparisons of these.

Personally the Hartke HD's wouldn't be my first choice for what you seek. Others may disagree and most likely will.

Rebel Rocker, Sid Fang and gregmon79 like this.
  15. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    The link doesn't show the picture.
    Judging by what others have said, this reminds me of a joke...
    BB King and Yngwie Malmsteen are trading solos. Yngwie goes first, doing his million note flutter while BB rides on one sustained note on his pass.
    Asked why he kept it so simple, BB replies "You see, he is looking for the note, I found it!"

Al Kraft, Aprezioso, Atshen and 9 others like this.
  16. Love_Bass

Love_Bass

Sep 5, 2012
    What does your band think about your tone?
    At gigs your going to just DI out a dry signal to the board right?

If either of the two points above don't apply to you then tone should be the last thing on your mind.

17. I can't see a list or pics of these amps that ain't getting it. Did the link get pulled???

btmpancake likes this.
  18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Since there doesn't appear to be any gear, that may be your problem.

19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I use a GK Neo 410 with a 180w Electric Tech Power Unit. I get TONS of bottom with that setup. I've never had issues pulling low end out of that cab. In fact I've had too much at times. But I have more than enough preamps and tone shaping happening to pull some out if need be.

If you aren't happy with your tone, and you still can't get the low end you seek out of your existing gear, one of the cheaper routes I can think of is adding a preamp. Just this one simple thing can drastically change everything. They make so many now outside of the Sansamp Bass Drive DI that you can choose one that will give you the flavor of almost any amp out there nowadays. And most are between $100-$400 usually. In my mind it's the easiest, and probably cheapest, way to go if you want to add more whatever to your sound/tone. Having a J and P bass, especially with the P, you shouldn't have any issued bringing the low end thunder.

Quick question too, have your basses ever been set up by a pro? Maybe it's something as simple as pickup height.....

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  20. El Apestoso

El Apestoso

Oct 31, 2016
    El Cajon, CA
    I'd start with some strings, mix it up some. If you're using stainless steel rounds, try nickel, for example. Maybe try some different technique too, as how you hit those strings can make a huge difference. If you're a pick player, try different pick materials.

If that fails, then worry about the amp.

Joedog and Rebel Rocker like this.