amps and mics

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ron brendle, Jul 25, 2000.

1. ron brendle

ron brendle Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Does any one have any experience with using small mics with double-bass such as the Audio-technica AT8532 or AKG406C or any other attachable mics?
    Over the years I've used pick-ups by B. Berry, Fishman, Underwood, & Polytone. I've had pretty good luck with a Schertler on my German carved bass and a Realist on my '61 Kay, but now I've got the mic bug.
    Also, to anyone interested, I've been using an Acoustic Image amp (actually a prototype without the preamp) for about three years now and it sounds more natural than any other amp I've ever used, including Polytone, G.K.,& SWR. Other musicians,even drummers, have commented on the clarity and fullness of sound.
    I'd like to hear from anyone using Acoustic Image with the Schertler or Realist pickups to compare notes. Also any advise about the mics would be most welcome.
  2. bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I haven't had a very good experience with most mics, so I am not the one to support that idea. I will have to look into that Acoustic Image amp that you have, it sounds fantastic!
  3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm not sure whether you mean you're using the Schertler Dyn-B or the Stat-B. I have used both in the past but now use the AMT mic exclusively which is a bass-mounted mic. I previously used it with the Acoustic Image Coda (Series I and then Series II) but now use the Schertler Pub speaker. You'll find lots of my posts about the AMT mic if you search for them.