1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps at GC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stepswork4me, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Is it standard practice for GC to sell the floor model amps at new cost and missing components like a manual and certain cables that are needed to use features of the amp?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had them and Sam Ash both try it when they didn't have any NIB stuff left. To be fair, though, they did offer to let me trade for a NIB model when they got them in, but they wouldn't budge on the price of the floor models. Actually went for that deal once because I wanted a particular pedal right then and there.

3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I've bought the from the floor but received a discount from the mgr. While I didn't pay full cost I did get a full guarantee. It was easy to get the manuals off mfr's website.

4. Dillertime06

Dillertime06

Jul 18, 2012
    I've purchased a floor model amp at GC in the past, but was offered a discount. IMO you should definitely not have to pay full price if it is missing things that come with a full price, brand new amp.

If that were the case then why wouldn't you just buy it brand new if it's the same price?

5. I wouldnt go for it. Make sure you like the model and buy elsewhere

6. I think I'm gonna have to take back my new TCE BG250. It's missing the USB and mini to mini cables.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'd be surprised if any retailer kept deep stock of big ticket items. Chances are that the floor inventory is their only inventory.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'd bet the box, manual and accessories are usually sitting in the backroom. The salesman is just too lazy to go look.

9. If he ain't got 'em, I can always return it and buy elsewhere.

10. If it's missing pieces it should justify a price modification..... because it's a floor model shouldn't affect the price. From a sales stand point they probably should let the customer think he is getting a discount from sticker price so he can feel better about the sale.

Would you not buy a new car from a dealer because it was sitting on the lot and could have been test driven before?

11. I get it with the smaller shops. GC just usually seems to have one still in the box. I'm really ok with it as long as they've got the cables.

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    A local GC gave me 25% off a power amp from their demo rack...even though it had never been powered up or connected to speakers.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The GC in Virginia Beach always has 'NOTHING' in the back room (of course after checking their 'inventory' on the computer). What's on the floor is what they have and they will sell at retail. I wouldn't have an issue buying a cab but not an amp. I did buy a bass off the wall once.

14. Handle it the way that leaves you satisfied. If going there and getting the items missing from the box does the trick for you, cool.

IMO though, they owe you. They sold you an open box item, without telling you. It's customary to offer open box items at a discount. While it may carry all of the other warranties and protections of a new purchase, you know one thing for certain; you were not the first person to unpack the amp, which should be the case with a new purchase. What you don't know is what the circumstances were. It could have been simply unboxed by mistake, and put right back into stock. At the other end of the spectrum, for all you know, it could have been a return that someone had for nearly a month.

At minimum, they've cost you time and effort. They also failed to let you know that the item was previously opened.

15. +1

Same with my local GC. Their entire stock is on the wall or on the floor. Its also limited to a select few Acoustics, Ampegs, GK's, Fenders, and MM's. The sales manager has literally told me that "5 strings are a thing of the past and there is no reason to stock them, and you are stupid for wanting one..."

I have gone in and basically asked to see if they would ever have stock on a $2k bass. I want to try it before I buy it. Its a very good chance that I will buy it. Instead of trying to make a sale, or stocking something different, Im insulted and then told to go play a MIM fender. Some business model. :rollno:

16. The salesman emailed me back and apologized for leaving the items out and said I can pick them up anytime. "Sorry for the inconvenience".

17. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i always make them ship me one from a warehouse unopened. Too many idiots pass through those stores