Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps? by a newb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Ok, i'm now ready to step up from the combos to the real rig. I was hoping somebody can explain the amps to me. Like, what are ohms? How do you know what head is compatible with what Cabinet? If you head is 50 watts and your cabinet is 400 watts, do you only get 50 watts when you play? I know your hook your head up to your cabinet, so what are Preamps, Poweramps, and Stacks?

I'm new to all this stuff guys, so take it easy on me.

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay. :)

What's your application? Are you thinking about small clubs and the like, or are you going to be playing on a big stage?

IMO, the first step is to select an amp head. I'd go that route, rather than a combo. Combo's are unwieldy, and inflexible. The head-cab trip though, is very flexible.

I use a WW Ultra, which is probably one of the world's smallest and lightest (and most powerful) amp heads.

And then, I've found that the modular cabs (like the Bag Ends and so on) are totally awesome. You can use as many or as few of them as you need, for any particular gig.

All that technical stuff, like ohms and so on, is only "constraints" that you need to pay attention to, when you're setting up for a particular gig.

My thought is, get yourself a nice powerful amp head first. Look around, and listen, 'cause they're not all the same. I like clean power, dynamics, and headroom, but you might not be after that kind of sound. Tube amps, for instance, are awesome, but they don't get you that sound. They get you a different sound.

My best advice is, "listen", to as many amps as possible, before you make a decision.

Then, build your speaker system around that.

Good luck bud, and have fun!. :)