1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps/Cabs DO MATTER...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billoetjen, Apr 29, 2009.

1. But you already knew that..

I so don't want to start a rumpus, but I'm one of those guys who always thought that the amp/cab had a smaller contribution to the overall tone than they've been hyped to be. I mean, seriously, how much variation could there be in SS circuits and 15" drivers? Well....

I've been shlepping my Ampeg BA110 practice amp to acoustic rehearsals for awhile now. It's tiny, portable, and has enough oomph to stand on its own. Little did I realize how refined its sound was. My two different fretted basses each had its own distinctive voice, and each sounded great all up and down the fretboard. The BA110 also gave me great feedback on the subtleties of attack and left-hand technique.

Well, it's in the shop right now so I have been using a band-member's Rogue 15" combo. What a perfect POS! Only a handful of notes sound good, and they sound exactly the same regardless of how, or where, I got them! :rollno: Oy, I can't wait to get my little, under-rated Ampeg back.
    Okay, I get it now: amps/cabs DO MATTER!

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *hums the melody to one of Joni Mitchell's earliest hits* :D

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Uh, yup... :smug:

MM

4. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    So now you see the light. Where's that $500 bucks you owe me? BOB :hyper:

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow. You think the Ampeg sounds better then the Rogue? (just kidding)

At least you don't actually own the Rogue, so you won't be responsable for funeral costs.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've never seen the BA110, but knowing how good my BA112 sounds, I hear what you're saying. Thinking of starting the " tiny amps with tone" club?

7. 'Size matters' by Joe Nichols....oh wait, we're not talkin bout size...:rollno:

Jimbob