1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps: Couple Questions here (SWR Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    One of the best bass sounds I've ever heard was a Bassic 350 head through a Goliath-II cab, pushed along by the handy wielder of a nice old Fender P-Bass. I was floored... warm, crushing, big blooming and friendly tone that separated my head from my shoulders. What I'm looking at isn't quite that, and I don't want the Goliath-II because it's too low and heavy. The drivers I have will eventually go into a single, taller, lighter cab. But I'm trying to get some voicing concepts together here.

Okay. So I've got 2x TL-606 cabs loaded with Eminence Kappalite 3015 drivers, and let's say we put an SWR SM-400s on top of that beastie. I know the drivers here have a fair amount of that much-venerated x-max, so along with an appropriate high-pass filter in the fx loop we'll be able to not only handle some lows but also contain that 'speaker-pistoning' the SM-400s is known for.

Any opinions on the (mere idea of) the above combo?

I've been throwing around ideas for my rig, and yes, it's opened up into exactly what I'd like to avoid... so I'm getting it all out of my system! But I'm looking at the following heads to go with the above mentioned cabs:
    Acoustic 370;
    SWR SM-400s;
    GK MB(2)500...

There it is. The floor is open...

2. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Why is the HPF only in the effects loop and not at the input?

And....."speaker pistoning"? What is this? Rather, can you describe what it sounds like?

3. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    [quote="Q";13038160]Why is the HPF only in the effects loop and not at the input?

And....."speaker pistoning"? What is this? Rather, can you describe what it sounds like?[/quote]

'Pistoning' is a sometimes-used term for the speakers' action when handling lows that they're not designed for; when they're operating at the limits of their x-max. They look like pistons firing in an engine of some kind... I had a Henry the 8x8 doing this once with an SM-400 on top...

You could use the hpf at the input, sure. Don't even know which is better- might well be the input.

4. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Pistoning... don't know about describing the sound- it just sounds like low bass that's not quite able to get all the way out, I guess.

5. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Ah, I know this better as clipping and I think it's the same as what everyone on here calls "farting out". Not sure though.

I've been blessed with pretty heavy duty speakers and small amps for most of my years as a bass player so I think most of what I have heard has been the fault of the amp.

But yeah, try to get that HPF in as early as possible. It really helps a compressor if you're using one too. With the HPF your comp won't be triggering on the low end you can't hear or your speakers can't reproduce.