1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps & Extension Cords....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheFantod, Oct 7, 2010.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    ...our practice space is currently a self storage unit in the middle of nowhere. It's pretty good 'cause there is no one to disturb, and the weather doesn't get too cold till November.

However, the only source of power is an outlet approx. 50 feet away. I use a 100 ft. heavy duty extension cord and a 6 outlet surge protector.

Am I in any danger of triggering a circuit breaker by using the 6 outlet strip? Tonight it will be powering two amps (bass & guitar), two pedalboards, and a single lamp.

Would it be better to buy another extension cord to help spread the load? I don't want to flip the circuit breaker because we have a "deal" going with the storage place and I don't want to cause them any grief.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    A heavy current load can be an issue for a long extension cord. The length adds some resistance that can be significant. I was using a circular saw with a long ext. cord and kept popping the breaker during an extended cut. One powerstrip is most likely fine, with what you say you're using.

The pedal boards and lamp won't draw much.

3. if you have access to a clamp meter and a crappy extension cord you can read the draw on your amps....just remove the outer insulating layer,but not the layer on the wires to allow access to the individual wires and clamp the hot only while playing....a 100 watt bulb is = to one ampere,and if your rigs/lamp etc total less than your circuit rating you're good.....remember that circuit breakers can get soft over time and trip earlier than rated