Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Amps, flourecent lights and buzzing..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey all,

The place my cover band has been practicing at has one problem: every amp seems to buzz there!

It's this kinda 'bzz' that goes on when not playing. I first freaked out as I thought my amp might be going, but then I noticed that PA and guitar amps give out similar hiss.

The problem got ever worse when I brought few guys from another band to try out couple songs, we plugged into couple of Ampeg guitar combos and coulden't play because of the huge amount of very loud buzz we suddenly got from the amps each time the other guitarist played through his distortion pedal! :eek: We had to plug off all their pedals (Ibanez Fuzz and Korg multi-effect at the time) and go straight into amps without distortion, there was only slight background hiss after that.

I think the problem might be either the flouricent lights the place has, or the power outlet - we have to take power out from single wall plug and have half a dozen or so of those powerchain-thingies and lots of powercords going on the floor.

Any thoughts how to improve the situation, anyone?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Rocktron has assured me that the Hush pedal or rackmount will take care of any hiss from the lights. I have not tried one yet though, thats just what I was told. As for the single plug, I have no idea.

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    If the place your practicing in is an old building, there may not be a ground from the outlets at all. My house was built in the 20s and while it has modern wiring, I suspect that there is no ground.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    definately sounds like a flourescent light issue..we have the same problem where we practice. The only thing that seems to help out is the sound-gate on my amp--it takes most of the hiss out.

5. Hehe

I've got a weird statement:

My Samson PowerBrite PB-11 (power distributor/rack lights) has a fluorescent light in it... no hiss at all. It's strange Samson went for fluorescent lights considering there involment in creating hiss. Samson states that these lights are more reliable when transporting your rack... I'll check that once my band'll start doing more shows...

6. I've never gotten this buzz while playing under fluorescent light, I did when I had a passive bass and had my rig plugged into an ancient power grid, where there were also fluorescent tubes to light the practise room.

My point is: I think it's got more to do with the wiring in the building (bad ground is the common fault) than with the light tubes.