1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AMPS FOR 5 STRINGS BASS GUITAR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gani, Aug 13, 2012.

1. gani

gani

Aug 13, 2012
    Can anyone tell me WHAT IS THE BEST AMP FOR 5 STRINGS BASS GUITAR ( COMBO OR HEAD WITH CABINET - POWER 20-50 watts)...? (you know .... ! better to play low frequencies - B !!!) . Thank you ...

2. 20-50 watts, I'd stick with a 12" speaker and up. (2x10 and 1x15 are "up")

What's your price range?

3. c4muzik

c4muzik

Dec 31, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Not sure about 20-50 watts. But if you wanted a half stack I'd go with an Ampeg 4X10HLF, though it is a pain to move around sometimes. I have it paired with the SVT 7 PRO. Sounds great with a 5 string

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Welcome to Talkbass gani...

Q:WHAT IS THE BEST AMP FOR 5 STRINGS BASS GUITAR?
    If you want a quick answer: The one that sounds best to you that you can get.

If you want a better answer: I'm not sure. Really great gear costs a lot, and most of the best stuff, especially outside 'old-school' tones seem to be a lot more than 20-50W.

Here's what I would suggest for you to get the most useful responses out of the (mostly) really nice and experienced musicians on this site:

1. Where are you coming from? eg. beginner looking for a first amp, long time player looking for a portable rig etc.

2. What are you looking for the amp to do? eg. a loud metal band with PA support, quiet jazz trio with vocal PA only etc.

3. Budget.

These questions aren't intending to pry - share only what you feel comfortable sharing - and check the rules carefully.
    If you give a better description of your situation and goals, we should have a better idea of what we would look into if we were in your position knowing what we know :)

5. You don't need a specific amp for a 5-string, what is more important is that you get a cab that can handle the lower frequencies that the 5-String can produce. Most (and I'm generalizing here) 210 cabs will distort quite quickly when pushed with low frequencies at higher volumes because most of them are built with the goal of having a small & conveniently sized cab, which is nice for transporting, but not great for low frequency reproduction

6. F and below is brutal on speakers. I have never seen or heard any rig that can play the fundamentals of E and below. The key to low B being weighty is a heap of 60hz, the 2nd harmonic.

The "fearful" 3 way cab is supposed to do 40hz somewhat loud. Having played about with 40hz sines at low volume on my rig I don't think it sounds desireable. If you can afford one you can always lower the extreme low end with a graphic EQ.

7. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Are you sure about the 20 to 50 watts,,,, thats going to be a very very small tiny "personal" practice amp if even that, I dont think anyone even makes a cab head combination with that low of wattage.

If your going to play with anyone else (a band) for even a rehearsal your going to need at least 100 watts and even that is guna be pushin it.

Cheers
    Davyo

8. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
  9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What are the planned uses of this amp?
    What is your budget?
    Musical style or tone you like?

10. +1

Need more direction.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Yes, my Acme B2s go down to 30Hz. Your comment on the first harmonic is right on. :)

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Bueller? (Gani)

13. Acme or Eden XST cabs are two that I would recommend but I doubt they are in your budget range if you are looking at combos in the 20-50 watt range...

In that range I wouldn't expect anything to give you a decent low frequency response, especially seeing as pushing those lower frequencies requires more headroom the louder you get

14. +1

15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I have 5 string basses.
    They sound good thru a 4x10 cabinet, or a heavy duty 1x15 and my ultimate is
    Eden 2x10 XST which is optimized for low B.