1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps for new studio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ceremony74, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ceremony74

ceremony74

Sep 27, 2004
    Hi
    I am building a new commercial studio. My idea is to have 2 bass setups. One more vintage with an ampeg b15 and the other with something modern and more versatile, like the tc electronic stuff. Any recommendations?

2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Is this a recording studio or a rehearsal studio? I'd be curious to see what the more informed folks have to say about this myself..

3. You could do an all-tube setup and a solid state one too. I guess that's still kindof along the same lines as vintage and modern too.

4. A lot of guys won't agree with me but the polar opposite to the famed B15 in my opinion for super versatile modern studio work would be the SWR Baby Blue II. It has a huge list of studio friendly features like EQ bypass, FX Blend, and with a fantastic Tube DI, Class A Pre, and 3 band Para EQ to boot.

Many guys don't dig the SWR sound anymore however it really can sit well in recordings if that modern zing and deep low end is what your looking for. There's likely a bunch of famous recordings made with that amp all through the 80's - today as there were many studio session guys that played them through the years.

5. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    I'd focus more on the studio first. When a studio is in trouble the instruments and amps are the first to be sold off. They don't even have the most resale value in many commercial studios so why would they go first? Answer: They are not as important as the interface(s), DAW(s), staff (especially marketing and engineers), mics, rooms, and many other important items.

All that said, I'd say a good tube and good solid state amp would serve you well. I'd vote Ampeg (famous tube sounds like B15 and SVT Classic) and Eden (solid cleans). I personally play Fender 300 Pro and use an Avalon DI, but if I was wanting to please as many potential clients as possible I'd go the other way. The Ampegs and Edens both have potentially good resale value as well. I hope you never need that though. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    To me the TC stuff sounds like a digital version of Ampeg tube amps, so that would be duplication of sorts. And realistically, folks who like more "modern" sounds (kind of a misnomer since the "modern" sound has been around about 40 years now) aren't going to want to mic an amp. They're going to want a clean and clear sounding preamp or DI instead. So for a studio, I doubt I'd even bother with getting an amp for them.

7. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Art pro channel 2 is amazing for bass and is a great mic preamp too. Nobrainer for 300 euros

8. jimmys15

jimmys15

Nov 7, 2012
    Amplitube 3 done!

9. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    If the guy wants a new amp or two let him get it! Heck I would go for an SVT and a GK! Might as well get a drum kit while your spending money! Maybe a new Fender Marcus Miller Jazz V, AND SOME DANCING GIRLS FOR THE DOWN TIME! Ok that's what I want!

10. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    B15 and a good DI.

11. bravesaint5

bravesaint5 Supporting Member

May 14, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're going commercial studio, go pro-audio multi-function as opposed to a modern bass-only amp. Something like the Avalon VT-737sp or UA 710 Twin-Finity.