1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps for Rob Allen basses

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Apr 26, 2006.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Curious what are you guys using?

Something clear and hi-fi to get the sound of the instrument through or something a tad bit warmer?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello. If you don't need a ton of volume, my favorite pairing was an AI Clarus (or Focus) and an Acme110 or 210. That amp/speaker combination is very dark and organic (I don't like it at all for 'regular' electric bass). However, with the Allen, it really takes that bass even farther toward the DB sound.... the amp and cab tend to give that bass the 'breathing' sort of note build that I hear in a good sounding upright.

If you are mainly doing small, acoustic type gigs, a Clarus with 4ohm B110 would do fine. If you need more wump, and Focus with a 4ohm B210 sounds similarly wonderful and louder.

IMO, as always.

Edit: It's funny that many consider the AI stuff and the Acme stuff as 'hi fi' in the technical sense of the term... very 'uncolored and accurate'. I hear this combination as very colored myself... but in exactly the right way for the Allen... warm, organic, dark, almost a little 'tube give' to it, and a very subdued top end.

3. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    +1 on Rob Allen + Acme

IME I find the Rob Allen + Epi UL112 sounds a little "electronic" vs. Rob Allen + Acme which sounds more "natural" and warm.

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    With my Rob Allen, I use either an Acoustic Image New Yorker combo amp for lower volume gigs--like playing duo or trio jazz for the cocktail party before the dancing starts--or I use my AI Focus with either an AI ContraEX speaker, or a Schroeder sealed Mini12+Light or both. With the Focus driving two 4-ohm cabs, I can get a ton of volume, if needed, and still retain the very acoustic/organic feel of this wonderful axe.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I play my rob allen into an aguilar db750 adn one or two gs210's. I set everything flat and it's amazingly warm and full, with good growl and true low end.

edit: I'm not going for a super authentic db sound with the bass though, I have a db for that. I jsut love the sound of the RA, a great mix of thick fundamental and growl and mwah which all sounds natural and organic.

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm thinking about a mesa walkabout/schroeder 1210 combo once I pull the trigger on a Rob allen but it may not be appropriate for the DB sound.

I'd love to try the acme rig but I want something that will still sound decent for electric bass as it will be my backup to my "large rig" (TFB420, NV425).

Maybe an M-Pulse 600 (should have enough juice for an Acme) and a Low B-2 would do the trick. What do you think?