Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

amps from the 80's and 90's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moelll, Jun 14, 2003.

1. moelll

moelll

Apr 25, 2003
    placentia, CA, USA
    did FEnder make any amps during the 1980's and the 1990's?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sure did... nothing memorable to me thou.

I've played with guitarist that used medium grey carpet covered fender amps and cabs from the 80's

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    At the very tail end of the 70s they intorduced an amp called the 300 Bass, a rack mount 300 watt (duh) solid state amp head. Tube Bassmans continued to be made up until about 1982.

Early 80s brought the first Sidekick amps, the "Compact Bassman", the (first) Bassman 60 combo, the Bassman 20 tube combo, etc.

Mid 80s they introduced the "BXR" line which had 25, 100, 200, 300 and 400 watt models. The 400 watt was a stereo/biamp head, the 200 and 300 came as a head or a combo, the others wre combos only. There was also an M-80 model which came as head or combo. The BXR line lasted well into the 90s until they finally revived the Bassman name.

Most of the 80s/90s amps were seen as being similar in quality to Peavey or Crate, hardly world class amps.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, but Fender did introduce the now legendary RAD Bass during this time period. Even though it was basically a BXR 25, it is a killer sounding little amp.

Tom.

5. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
    Good call. Back in the day, I snaged one of those off the showroom floor brand new for $75. BY FAR the best money I have ever spent on bass gear. I love my Redhead tone, but the Rad is a FANTASTIC sounding amp for its size/price. A great practice amp that I would not think twice about using in the studio.