1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps...Get off my LAWN! "Grumpy Old Farts"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B-string, Dec 29, 2013.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Long Friday opening day of my gig, 14 hours with an early Saturday morning start. This used to be so much easier when I was younger!

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    It only seemed easier...you're just getting too old to accurately remember what it was really like when you were younger. :thumbsup:

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :laugh:

BadExample likes this.
  4. How about temperature extremes? I forgot it always sucked? Hyeeeeeew boy it sucks now Sir Al.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    My degree is in Child Development.
    Children's minds are developing.
    Try, not cry.
    Resilience is needed
    Later life will teach you enough about defeat.
    No need to hurry it along.

6. But don't they need to learn to be beat down by the system and just succumb, to avoid unnecessary pain early on? :laugh::roflmao::laugh:

7. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like my education and life experiences are the furthest thing from your's, but I really do appreciate your point. I think there is a fine line between allowing failure and discouragement to create a victim/loser mind-set and having folks see that everyone brings a strength to the party, but your strength may not always be the one in demand that day or you may not be the strongest at that party. I suspect that somewhere in that poorly expressed thought is the teachable moment set-up for a discussion of teamwork and learning to focus on others rather than only on self.

Some really bad outcomes (business, cultural, and personal) have resulted from cut-throat competition and an all too familiar "need to win at all costs" mentality. However, competition can be a great way to benchmark yourself and learn where you need to improve. Clearly the younger the individual, the more care is needed to guide those developmental experiences from insightful, caring folks with your skills. IME we often learn more from our valley experiences in life than we do from our mountain top moments.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Well put, @Al Kraft . Very young children need to learn competition, but in a sportsmanlike way, to learn teamwork and to learn how to win or lose graciously. The fact that schools are creating "everyone's a winner in competition" is horse pucky to me. There is a thrill in winning and a lesson in losing. Playing for the team is very important. And yes, learning how to contribute your strengths and recognizing other's strengths is important. Like old Mr. Toupe Howard Coselle said, "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat..."

Al Kraft likes this.
  9. It's not the agony of the feat? Crap! Now I have to complete reorganize my whole outlook on life. The agony of the feet made so much sense when the the skier crashed and burned. Damn Howard Coselle anyway.

10. Oh PROOF! Their feet hurt. They had to hurt. ALB FAIL!!!!

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Succinct.

Al Kraft likes this.
  12. That is exactly where the failure is IMO. Morality. It certainly can't be legislated. It needs to be taught. Schools are forbidden and most churches are NPO's and therefor forbidden. That leaves parants, which usually both have a job or two. So that leaves baby sitters. Kids teaching morality to kids. Shuddup kid, I'm txt'ing. Change your own damned diaper.

13. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Our societal/cultural/family structure and parenting CONOPS (to use a military phrase) is having a deleterious effect on our next generation of adults IMO. You really can't blame a kid for their lack of being parented. Sadly though, society will later hold them accountable for behaviors that manifest from those early lessons not learned. When raising kids, somebody needs to be the parent and that role is distinctly different from (albeit complementary with) the roles of teacher, coach, rabbi/priest/minister, peer, friend, mentor, etc. FWIW I firmly believe that none of the functionality of those roles can be found on a smartphone, TV, or even a laptop/desktop computer.

BadExample likes this.
  14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :D:laugh:

BadExample likes this.
  15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Guilt is a wonderful instructor. Jewish mothers have been using this for hundreds of years.

Dogs sometimes do things that they shouldn’t. They know right from wrong and want to apologize. Kids know better, some need a good example to follow.

12BitSlab, Al Kraft and BadExample like this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There's fairness in winning but also fairness in losing.

I was just talking with a friend about horse show fairness. I was turned off years ago when I saw the winners on the judges clipboard before the class even started. Worse, the winner had scratched the class. That's not losing, it's called getting stuffed.

17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Gymnastics, figure skating, and other subjectively judged sports have had scandals. Then there were Russians that had sex changes to gain an advantage, not to mention how many push the boundaries with drugs. I can see horse events having some of that. Both drugs and corruption.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    agedhorse and Al Kraft like this.
  18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Horses are supposed to piss clean but the riders and judges are not tested!!! Talking about a double standard...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  19. G-dambit, had a few beers, now I just wanna get stoned and ride a horse!

20. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    Life in general does this as well...we all know natural born winners, and natural born losers. Nothing they seem to say or do ever alters what seems to be a predestined outcome.