1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps...Get off my LAWN! "Grumpy Old Farts"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B-string, Dec 29, 2013.

1. It didn't seem very heavy to me. 1/2" Birch ply and the strips are 1-1/2" x 1/4ish" Aspen. I didn't think to weigh without the head in place. I imagine it's going to be a bit heavy with cables and a couple of mic in the longer back end cap and the cubby hole beside the head. See if I can weigh the sleeve with head tonight.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008

I was more wondering if you used a light weight wood. It’s common to build studio gear in pine for example. The intent is protection but not transport.

I was looking at a ¾” baltic birch case, 2U, 18” deep, metal front rails, finger joint, no front cover, it was 13 lbs which isn’t too bad. Plain looking though. I like the character of your box, especially with the train shipping crate tie-in. I also like the semi-sanded off paint.

0B621DF4-0D30-4DC7-A48B-49D226EEE5F5.

The first one below is a bigger desktop rack in pine, the second is a more expensive wood.

EFF1BD89-2EE2-47ED-902E-0BE432725E1B.

C0F9D46A-293C-45EE-A1B7-A0C4FC79065C.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Looks... ummm kind of spicy... ;)

BadExample likes this.
  4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Joke 1: They don’t called it Bicol Express for nothin. Goes through like a freight trail.

Joke 2: The case is an anniversary gift. Something spicey is expected.

agedhorse, S-Bigbottom and BadExample like this.
  5. Bicol Express is very spicy. I can't eat it. Bicol is the only area I know of where really hot food is common. They also have a lot of not too spicy dishes, flavorful, but not hot. It's funny, The original recipe for Bicol Express was created by a lady in Manila. She had moved there from Bicol to start a restaurant.

My bathroom scale does tenths of a pound for some reason. I worry more about tens of pounds. 5 Lb resolution would be fine for me.

Exactly 13 Lbs without the end caps. Exactly 20 Lbs with end caps in place. I expected more than that, even before building it. top box

That rack on top might be a good starting point to get the same end result. The Aspen was 1-1/2 x 3/4 inch and I just ripped it to get a rough saw-marked finish. Our lumber here comes about 1/2 inch shy on larger dimensions and 1/4 inch shy on smaller dimensions, so they came pretty close to 1/4" thick... most of the time... I eyeballed it.

Pretty fun project, because I could screw up any part of it and just blame the PNR's shabby workmanship. And if it gets beat up, blame their freight handlers. The more I mess up, the better it looks :D

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. The best day: the missus says I can indulge in ANY bass gear!

Wow. Times have changed. When my father passed I mourned for a long time. I miss him dearly up to now. It took years for me to stop looking into the living room at their house to say goodbye when I left after a visit to my mom. Each time, resulting in a very empty feeling.

The last thing on my mind was buying crap. Crap is exactly what bass gear is when compared to the loss of a parent. Crap. Sickening thread.

Novarocker and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    How do the front and back caps attach?

8. They don't yet, trying to figure out how to use some double ball catches. Solid Brass Double Ball Catch They work at 90 degrees or 180 degrees. An over sight! so I either need to come up with a 90 deg bracket, a small piece of wood to work as a 90 bracket, do some mill work, or go to plan D. Damn that cheap PNR labor!!!

9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I too wondered about that thread. Everybody grieves differently. People have different mechanisms of coping with loss and memories.

10. I understand... hope he doesn't grow to regret it. i have a feeling it's a combination of denial, the me me me shift of society, and basic greed we all have ingrained in us. Buying crap won't help. That's just a short term buzz.

11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Maybe some ideas here, steamer trunk latches

Nickel Plated Steel Trunk Draw Bolt | hardwaretree.com

Really old school could be a pair of leather straps.

There are Southco latches.

D.B. Roberts Estore

Part numbers 97-50-110-12 and 97-57-105-24

Image from Mark at vintage-blue
    CB46E28A-BB60-4B71-8D6B-E6C43599C6FA.

12. THANK YOU bro. Beansey!!! looking for ideas.

Wouldn't mind, but not found a hinge with a removable pin for the back cover. The width and depth is designed to be typical of a geetar cab, so in some cases, like a matching cab to come later, it could be nice to drop open the back cover, pull out cables, and leave it in place.

Oh, BTW: on the green paint. I dry brushed it on at first. I did not intend to have to sand it off. First try with oil based paint and I should have practiced on scrap, just like personal relationships. In a do over, I would use latex paint, flat green, no sanding and seal it in with a very low gloss clear. I ended up sanding lightly with 80 or 100 sand paper, then scrubbing it with steel wool.

13. EB1D8063-FB37-49E0-8231-6E67DED350A8. A331EF0F-5EC9-4BEB-818D-683D493C260C.
    A couple steps along the way...

14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey GOF's. A little miffed here in beautiful Sitka, Alaska. I was awaiting my new bass arrival tomorrow from UPS sometime before noon, and got an email update that the "package has been delayed by a security check." I've received a lot of items from FedEx and they've never gone through a "security check" before. So as a result one more days have been added and I'm worried that some TSA numskulls are going to open up the box and their ham-handed fists are going to damage the packaging and bass. Here's what another musician found out when his ukulele experienced a "security delay:"

"BTW I did get an answer from UPS about the Security Checks:"

"As a result of a security directive issued by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), UPS now applies additional security measures. These measures include screening of packages that are shipped by air to the U.S. or are travelling through the U.S. Packages will be opened when necessary for further inspection by operations. These measures will be followed by drivers, Customer Centers, and all package centers.

Shipments impacted by these security measures include:

•Personal effects shipments
    •Goods with an inadequate description or missing documentation
    •Shipments paid for with personal check, shipped Bill Receiver (formally Freight Collect) or sent COD
    •Shipments sent by shippers who do not have an established business relationship with UPS"

This is an order arriving from WYOMING for cripes sake. It's not like it's coming from overseas and it's from an unknown source going to a suspicious destination! My guitarist got out of the hospital and we're having a special jam session Friday night with a potential new hot female guitarist and I was hoping to have my new bass set up by then. As I'm working all day Friday and the jam will be at 7:00 that night I guess I'll use my trusty SR500 which I love anyway. But I still don't like the delay and I'm prepared for the worst from the "security check." It made it all the way to Anchorage before the "security check."

Has anyone else received this message when waiting for a package to arrive? Thanks, GOF's.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:41 AM
  15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Hopefully your bass will arrive safely.

Not UPS but this happened as a result of a customs inspection in a foreign country.

A TB member living in Europe imported a portaflex amp from the US. The transformers are potted in metal cans. Customs in their country took it upon themselves to drill a large hole through the case into the transformer. I suppose that they took the approach, if the can’t easily inspect it they were going to destroy it.

There is a claim process but he was told they drag it out and never pay out. A vintage amp is worthless on the books.

The same has come up with vintage gear shipping damage by courriers. People have reported unsuccessful claims, even if addition insurance was taken out from the courrier covering the purchase price. The company adjusters go by the book value. They do not accept an external expert evaluation documenting the vintage value. Maybe if they were taken to court things would change, but people cut their losses and drop it. The fine print does you in.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  16. That's crazy. I wonder if it was not compliant, so they made it no longer an electrical device :( Or just abuse of authority, being mean.

17. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    All the paper work was apparently in order. A case were authority got out of hand. You think that they could have called him in.

18. Fingers crossed.

19. That's pretty messed up.

Hopefully ALB gets his axe in good order.

RandM and alaskaleftybass like this.