1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Amps - I'm so close but need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've just about got my sound dialed in. I love my Precision and Lull. I love my Schroeder 1212. But I'm still trying to get the amp right. For those of you who have played most of these amps (and you know who you are), please share your toughts. I own the Walkabout and Tfunk and have had a WT550 in the past.

Walkabout
    MPulse 600
    WT550
    Thunderfunk
    AG500
    iAmp 500

I love my Walkabout, but wish the lows were more contained ala the Tfunk. I put up with it because of the big, juicy presence the amp has. The Tfunk is just a bit dry for my taste. If I could cross-breed the Tfunk and Mesa I believe I would be happy. The Eden is not quite it IMO and just didn't "do it" for me, though I never tried it with the Schroeder. I'm wondering how the Aggie or iAmp would stack up. Or even the bigger Mesa.

Help!

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I guess I'm not following the rules, since I haven't played any of the amps you've listed.
    But I have to suggest this anyway: bring your cabinet and bass(es) to a music store and try some Ampeg and GK heads.

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Wish it were so simple. I'm hours from a decent music store. The only Ampeg I've played and liked are old SVTs and I'm not into lugging a tube amp around. GK is always a thought. Never tried one.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

OK, I"ll play... I've owned most of them and played through all of them, and have owned a 1212R.

Walkabout - You know all about that... wonderful, but not a lot of juice, and kind of 'fussy' on the EQ IMO....

MPulse 600 - I thought this was going to be a 'Walkabout on Steroids' and I purchased one because I dug the Walkabout but didn't find it to have enough juice. The 600 is a VERY different beast from the Walkabout... loud as heck, more refined and modern sounding, but still VERY tube sounding, with a huge low end. I found the pre to 'give' a little too much for my style of playing. Very high quality, very loud, lots of big, open sounding tube low end (way too much of that for me)

WT550 - wonderful in every way... size, EQ, tone, volume, weight, etc. Many threads about this amp. I'd give it another try with the 1212.. very nice!

Thunderfunk - Even more wonderful in every way than the WT550... more quick and clean... no 'preamp tube' bloom in the low end... think maybe a 'handmade GK' with a little more warmth... I LOVE this head with the Schroe's.

AG500 - Sounds pretty good through the 1212.. more 'tubelike' warmth than the TF or WT... not my favorite... the distortion channel is cool, but they make a single channel version for less money if distortion isn't your thing. I just could never get the 'mid warmth' out of this amp... but if that's your sound, it's cool. Doesn't seem to put out quite the volume of the TF and WT to me. Seems 'rock' voiced if that makes any sense.

iAmp 500 - I'd put the iAmp800 as a closer comparison to the TF550 and the WT550, and the Schroeder could definitely take the extra power. Both the 800 and 500 are small and light. Everyone talks about the EQ as being more 'precise and useful' than other amps... well, each of the four bands of EQ are semi-parametric... but the Eden and TF have multiple semiparametric mids, enhance, shelving treble and bass, plus more... so I don't quite agree there. The iAmp is the 'cleanest' of the bunch, which is not a positive to me particularly. I like a quick sound, but with at least some warmth. I don't know if it's the class D amp or what, but I find the iAmp sound somewhat clinical... just my IMO. I used one for a while, but just never warmed up to it (pardon the pun). I was less than impressed with the build quality also versus the other amps on your list.

All the above would be great... all are very different (although the TF and WT are in the same general tone area).

Edit: Saw your comment of crossing the Walkabout with the TF.... man... that's the EdenWT550 all the way for me... tighter low end than the Walkabout, more volume, but that little bit of true tube warmth that the TF doesn't have.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks Ken. That's sort of what I was expecting to hear. The Tfunk 420 I have is pretty cool, just foreign to me so far. It's so tight. My current rock band probably isn't the best use for it either. And interestingly, I find the Walkabout to be louder. Would you say the M-Pulse has more bloom than the Walkabout?

Not sure why I couldn't click with the Eden. It certainly falls between my Walkabout and TFB420. I guess I like the lows of the Thunderfunk and the highs and mids of the Mesa and the Eden seemed the reverse of that. Or maybe it's the SUV-effect. Can't quite compete head-to-head with a car or truck. But it may be worth another try as you said. I do recall liking it with the GS112 I used to own.

edit: I also tried Ashdown again recently, but found it way too dark and woolly this go round.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The M-Pulse has WAY more low end bloom than the Walkabout. It's very, very tubey sounding... too much for me, but it might actually work nicely with the 1212.

The Ashdown500 doesn't really float my boat either... nice, warm, big and heavy compared to everything else, and that recent 'build quality' thread was frightening regarding this brand:eek:

You know what you need.... an AGDB750....! I wouldn't want to carry one, but I understand they sound fabulous with the 1212, and really seem to have the sound you are talking about IMO. There's been a lot of good press on the new big Carvin head also... kind of 'poor man's' DB750. That might be worth a look also.

7. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    LOL, that's what I was afraid of.

Don't tell Wilbyman. I hear an "I told you so" coming.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    GK sounds better to me than Ampeg heads. They just seem more tubelike. Surely more dynamic, whereas the Ampegs sounds compressed to me. I did spend an afternoon comparing them using the same bass. The SVT is an exception.
    No doubt, Ampegs are great amps, but I prefer GK.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Uhmmm......
    I played for a year with the TFB-420 and most recently for a year with the Mesa Walkabout. I purchased an Eden WT-550 (4 weeks ago) and IMO it's a perfect combination of those two heads. The warmth and tubey sound of the Mesa, the clarity and punch of the TFunk, plus nice sparkling highs to boot (i.e. Demeter).
    I'd would say maybe give it a try with the Schroeder 1212 but I wasn't too crazy about the sound of the Eden with the 1210 (just a bit to mid focused IMO).

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jason, man I really wish you could hear an Eden WT550 with my Berg 112's. It's such a nice combo.

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1

Andy,
    I can bear witness to that!:D

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah Joe, I thought that might be what you have. :bassist:

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Andy! You should hear the HT210S with a Walter Woods Ultra. From the clips you sent me of your sound, you would die and go to heaven!

K

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ken, I have a strong feeling that that is one amaaaaazing setup. I really love that HT210s cabinet. If I went with a one cab option where I needed more than the HT112 than that would definately be the cab. Thing is, now that I've got the Audere 4 band pre in my bass I'm going directly into the power section of my amp already. I can't justify buying a Woods for WW money when I wouldn't be using anything other than the power section. I'm looking straight ahead to the future now. The only upgrading I'll ever do will be to the IP cabs, and that will be some time before it happens. I just got to try my bass with the Audere into the IP cabs the other day.......Heaven can now be found right here on our own planet.:D

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 on the IP's... the big ones are too heavy for me, but they do sound great. I would think the IP112 with that preamp you've been telling me about would sound just awesome.

Also, +1 on the Walter's price... whew! I've had it for a number of years now, and really hadn't been using it until I got the Berg ( a very nice match).

With all the wonderful small heads out there now (Markbass, AI, Eden, TF), the Walter thing seems 'past its prime' to me. However, I'm glad I found that HT210S (thanks to our buddy Tom Bowlus). It really made me enjoy the Walter again!

K

16. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I bet it is, Andy. Better than your Ashdown/Berg setup?

I was going to try running the pre from the Mesa into the Funk and vice-a-versa. Just to see which way I'm leaning.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hmmm....not better, just different. The Eden is more modern sounding than the Ashdown. I'm completey bypassing the front end of the Ashdown now though. I can see where the Ashdown wouldn't work with the cab you have now.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Jay, not to rock your whole boat but have you thought about a GK1001-II with a GKNEO212 or two NEO112's? I heard a GK 700-II with a GKNEO115 recently that really knocked my socks off. The guy (a student) was using a custom shop fender jazz with flats and the sound was really amazing. I was a little bummed actually. I've been through so much equipment, he bought his first real rig and nailed it....something to think about.

19. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Will has been espousing the virtues of the GK Neo stuff to me. So it's nice enough to make a trad mag guy like you turn his head?

I've not played any GK stuff ever. I sometimes find the whole Eden/TFunk world a little too modern as it is and I figured GK was more in that spectrum. I rarely escape the rock and blues world. When I do jazz or funk, it's more of that Paul Jackson or Rainey tone. I'm still a neck pickup holdout.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ha! Well, I'm not giving up my Bergs anytime soon! I've not found anything that is as right for me personally as the Berg cabs are. I will say that the GK heads and the GK cabs work perfectly together. They've really done their homework. I tried a GK amp with my Berg HT112 once and the combination of the two was terrible. The preamp section didn't jive with my Berg at all. I did play a gig once that had a GK 210 combo amp as the backline and it was one of the best sounds I've ever gotten....so, there you go.