1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Amps In The Future

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Acoop, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Someone posted about 'are new or olds amps better' and it made me think about the future of amps.
    You will download everything you need onto your Apple/Huawei phone, all your preset sounds through an app called these are the 'amps of your wet dreams', then feed that through a list of designer preamps then, when you're happy you hit save. ... With that, and your bass, you'll head off to the gig. ... Now, you can walk, you can bike or you can take transit. ... At sound check, you and the other musicians will download your sounds/feed into the board. ... You'll do the gig with earphones, playing your bass through your iphone and never carry anything heavy again. ... Other than yourself out of bed in the morning.

DJ Bebop, Ellery, Rip Van Dan and 9 others like this.
  2. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
    It's evolution baby....

DJ Bebop likes this.
  3. abracadunphy

abracadunphy

May 22, 2015
  4. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    My Galaxy sounds much grittier than your apple. ;)

5. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
    DJ Bebop, xbud, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  6. dramatwist

dramatwist Suspended

Sep 27, 2019
    ...it's already going on in the infant stages...

7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    whats the best phone for metal ?

8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Will there be metal in the future, or will it fall by the wayside when guitars/bass/the concept of a band finally becomes quaint, obsolete, and so very uncool, like brass bands?

andruca, jamro217 and Dabndug like this.
  9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Brass bands are quite popular again , mostly younger players too.

you cant do everything with a phone

10. McTred

McTred

Apr 2, 2012
    90% or more of my current play is completely unplugged bedroom playing. Having said that... I'm not going to a gig where I can't have an amp on stage unless my back completely gives out.

I refuse to put things into my ears... I might go with headphones if push comes to shove with lower back pain.

I'm not a professional musician so I have full luxury of doing it my way. For me, it's about the fun and the experience. And if I'm using headphones I may as well stay home and play unplugged or play a board game or something.

Ellery, SactoBass, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  11. Maybe!

Or maybe we will still be playing SVTs and AC30s.

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  13. We are living in The Future of Amps. This is it.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Unless they can get something that sounds like this, I don't care what they come up with.:thumbsup:
    IMG_3870.JPG

DJ Bebop, Ellery, Pauly 4001 and 10 others like this.
  15. I’ve already seen some keyboard players doing something at local gigs. Using an IPhone and a midi controller

DJ Bebop and yodedude2 like this.
  16. PrinceByTor

PrinceByTor

May 25, 2019
    Spokane, Wa
    Personally I see even more variety for those who want a certain something to choose from. Heck, look at the class D guys and the classic tube guys, neither are going anywhere. I see it as a great time to be a bassist, (Only wish for more gigs and better pay at them.)

17. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I know a gal who plays piano/keys that uses her ipad for synth effects and other various noises that don't come stock in her full sized keyboard.

Honestly, as far as bass amps go I think I'll be using my Mesa Subway WD800 as long as it still works and can be serviced. I can make it do everything I need it to a lot easier than I can set up VST via my laptop or an ipad personally. It can be my DI box, it has an HPF built into it. And although my pedals do use computer/smartphone software to tweak them and get a plethora of noises out of them, when I'm actually playing all I have to do is hit foot switches.

DJ Bebop, One Way, xbud and 3 others like this.
  18. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Tangent -

I remember reading about Hoag Light Guitars, and the first commercially available optical pickups, in the 70s. I think they debuted at the 1969 NAMM show, if I recall my lore correctly.

At the time, I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread! With more accurate translation, and easy MIDI interfacing, I really thought that by this century, we'd all be playing digital/optic supercomputer instruments.

(I also thought the Commodore Amiga would take over the PC world in the 90s)

Obviously, I was wrong. Nothing happened for 30 years, until LightWave jumped on the optical wagon 'round about the turn of the century.

Again, I thought OK! Here we go!

Skip forward 20 more years, more of the same. No one knows about optical pickup technology other than a few nerdy tech-head musicians like me, and optical technology continues to be a sideshow, and gather dust, as far as the "mainstream" is concerned.

- tangent ends

StayLow and dmt like this.
  19. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    Actually, I won't get out of bed. I will channel James Jamerson and play laying flat on my back and I will connect to the venue via my mobile phone and the sound engineer's uber-modern trickery.

My phone will be set up right in front of a 1000W amp and 2 212s running flat out! I will need physically pad the the phone mic obviously - gaffer tape and an old pair of undies should do the trick.

Viva le Revolution. Bring it on baby!

pellomoco14 likes this.
  20. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Get used to "What's the best bass for carbon fiber?", because that will be the next cool musical fad which will ultimately supplant metal as the genre du jour.

dmt likes this.